Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TeleVue EP shortages

MjrTom

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info guys!

Shame none of the fellow amateur astronomers at Liverpool astronomy society dont have any Televue eyepieces (or dont bring them along) so its difficult to road test them to see the subtle differences....

Also the contrast is higher is it not? From nagler or other type I thought...

I moved from Nagler T6's to my current Ethe after carefully comparing their performance. My disposable income is limited so I would not have made the investment in the 3 Ethe I have unless I felt they delivered a step up in performance. It's not a huge step but it's definately there I feel in contrast, sharpness and light transmission.

Oh, and you get a larger field of view as well :)

Hi Jahmason, the ethos offers more than a big aFOV and reasonable eye relief. The contrast improvement over my naglers is very obvious. I never thought the naglers would be bettered, but the ethos just gives such a more contrasty and hence pleasing view.

Tom

After placing my order with Telescope House on Wednesday at 10am I have taken delivery of a swanky new TeleVue 13mm T6 all of my own at 3pm today via Fedex.

Very fast service I must say :)

What an eyepiece as well!

So guaranteed to rain for the next two weeks... Sorry guys!

After placing my order with Telescope House on Wednesday at 10am I have taken delivery of a swanky new TeleVue 13mm T6 all of my own at 3pm today via Fedex.

Very fast service I must say :)

What an eyepiece as well!

So guaranteed to rain for the next two weeks... Sorry guys!

Now you know why I recommended Telescope House for Televue eyepieces. :)

John

Now you know why I recommended Telescope House for Televue eyepieces. :)

John

Yes the service was exemplary, I shall be using them again in the near future. :)

Just out of interest the 3-6mm and 13mm T6 are both "Parfocal group B" given that the 24mm Panoptic is also group B does that mean all three will be parfocal. Is is trnsferable accross the whole TV range and not just with a certain EP type like Nagler or Radeon?

Thanks again

Mark

Just out of interest the 3-6mm and 13mm T6 are both "Parfocal group B" given that the 24mm Panoptic is also group B does that mean all three will be parfocal. Is is trnsferable accross the whole TV range and not just with a certain EP type like Nagler or Radeon?....

Any TV eyepiece thats in "group B" should be parfocal with others in that group, more or less.

My experience is that the 3 to 6 and 13mm Naglers are nearly but not quite parfocal, but are reasonably close. Not sure about the Panoptic.

The Ethos eyepieces are quite a bit different and may take quire a big change in focus travel.

John

My experience is that the 3 to 6 and 13mm Naglers are nearly but not quite parfocal, but are reasonably close. Not sure about the Panoptic.

The Ethos eyepieces are quite a bit different and may take quire a big change in focus travel.

John

Well if the skies clear this evening for a short while I shall see how parfocal the two TeleVue EP's I own are :)

Thanks again!

Mark

Congrats on the 13mm Mark, lovely thing it is. You will probably get a review up on here before me too !!

I shall check up on the 24 pan and 13 nag parfocalness for you when possible. You can always pm me with any other questions about the 24mm pan

Thanks for the offer Adam.

I managed to get half an hours star gazing last night in the twilight of the evening. Checked out Saturn which looked great with the 13T6 although small which is what is expected at 40x mag. However I was able to check out how Parfocal the 13mmT6 and the 3-6mm Nagler are, the answer. Perfectly Parfocal. Not even a small tweak needed.

Unfortunately the clouds rolled in before I could test it out on any DSO plus twilight lasts so long at this time of the year.

Well first impressions are very good. I pointed the scope at Mizar & Alcor which split into a lovely pair with pin sharp stars across the full FOV with no disernable field curvature which is very nice.

I shall have to give it s run for it's money on the globulars when conditions allow.

Final thoughts.... Very impressed!

Better get saving for the 24 Panoptic!

Thanks for the offer Adam.

I managed to get half an hours star gazing last night in the twilight of the evening. Checked out Saturn which looked great with the 13T6 although small which is what is expected at 40x mag. However I was able to check out how Parfocal the 13mmT6 and the 3-6mm Nagler are, the answer. Perfectly Parfocal. Not even a small tweak needed.

Unfortunately the clouds rolled in before I could test it out on any DSO plus twilight lasts so long at this time of the year.

Well first impressions are very good. I pointed the scope at Mizar & Alcor which split into a lovely pair with pin sharp stars across the full FOV with no disernable field curvature which is very nice.

I shall have to give it s run for it's money on the globulars when conditions allow.

Final thoughts.... Very impressed!

Better get saving for the 24 Panoptic!

Thats a very encouraging report :)

You have to hand it to Tele Vue don't you ? - they are expensive but they really do "deliver the goods" :)

Yes very true they deliver in buckets!

I suppose its true, you get what you pay for :-)

After using quality photographic lenses you get used to near perfect optical characteristics and tend to gravitate towards any faults very easily.

Maybe I should stop looking so hard :-)

I was surprised when I used the 13mmT6 during the day to spot birds in the garden. The colours are so vibrant and sharp.

Not even a hint of CA present I can't say the same of the Baader Zoom which did not fair so well at the same magnification.

Mark

Nice little update Mark, you will love it on clusters too. But when my jaw really hit the floor was for lunar observing this summer for me. The magnification and the fact it was all still present in view without any distortion whatsoever was astonishingly good. And to think I was considering get rid of the 13mm at one point...!

Sounds definitely like a task for a tracking telescope though! :)

Surprisingly not, as with that 110 degree FOV it's easy to keep the moon in the FOV with an untracked mount. What's really impressive is being able to see the whole disc of the moon at that mag.

John

Surprisingly not, as with that 110 degree FOV it's easy to keep the moon in the FOV with an untracked mount. What's really impressive is being able to see the whole disc of the moon at that mag.

John

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! You have got to be kidding me, you lucky person! That sounds astonishing.

Thanks again!

The ethos 3.7mm eyepiece looks amazing the thought of having over twice the FOV of my 3-6mm Nagler zoom is quite interesting. I wonder how easy it is to use, 82 degrees aFOV is pretty much as much as I can manage.

I find that I tend to use my Nagler zoom at the 4mm setting quite a lot.

I must admit I do love a bit of lunar observing, especially during the summer months when twilight lasts for eternity.

I suspect that beast may unbalance my modest scope somewhat :)

I managed to get outside for an hour last night and gave the 13mmT6 eyepiece a decent test.

Firstly it was back to Saturn, my old favourite and was surprised to see that 3 moons were visible and saturn was very sharp although he exit pupil made any detail in the planet tricky.

Now onto something else. I headed over to Albireo which although not a difficult double star to split it has very obvious colour difference. The two stars split into a lovely golden yellow and sapphire blue accentuated when defocussed slightly.

It was now Midnight and dark enough to try some DSO's

Firstly it was over to my favourite Globular cluster of the sky M13 which looked spectacular. Far more contrasty than any previous viewing I have tried with other eyepieces. with adverted vision individual stars were beginning to resolve.

On from thre it was onto M92 which is a lovely Globular within the same constellation.

Next on the list was M57. Not a target I usually try with such a small aperture telescope but I was pleasantly surprised by the view. I was presented with a smoky ring which showed some structure and detail. I have never seen it this good through this scope before.

To finish off the session I thought I would try my luck at some of the Globulars of ophiuchus. Finding M10, M12 & M14 low down in all the murk I thought was going to be a challenge. Not so with this eyepiece. They were still resolvable from the background sky even in less than favourable conditions.

I packed up feeling very content with the Nagler 13mm T6 and my evenings viewing :)

Mark

Archived