Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TeleVue EP shortages

MjrTom

Hello all,

I just wanted to ask a general question regarding Televue EP's stock levels.

I ordered one of the more popular T6 Naglers however the dealer has been waiting over six weeks for the delivery to arrive at TeleVue in the states before they can ship out the order to the UK.

Not to name names but it is one of the authorised dealers as listed on the TV site.

Is there a global shortage of Televue Kit? Has the environmental disaster in Japan had an adverse effect upon stock levels? Is there some other reason for these delays?

Is this the norm at the moment?

Thanks

Mark

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you order from Telescope House? They show all the Naglers as being in stock and they're also a Televue distributor (or at least I think they are) as well as a dealer so they usually have plenty of Televue stock.

John

Did you order from Telescope House? They show all the Naglers as being in stock and they're also a Televue distributor as well as a dealer so they usually have plenty of Televue stock.

John

It was one of the other authorised distributors... Maybe I should cancel my order... 6 weeks is a long wait already...

It was one of the other authorised distributors... Maybe I should cancel my order... 6 weeks is a long wait already...

I've found that Telescope House's website is very accurate when it says that something is in stock. You could always double check with TH and then cancel your present order.

John

I've found that Telescope House's website is very accurate when it says that something is in stock. You could always double check with TH and then cancel your present order.

John

Thanks John,

I phoned up Telescope House and they have it in stock.

I shall cancel my original order.

Its a bit annoying as this supplier has always been good in the past...

The recent 20% off deal on TV products, which lasted some months, may have impacted stock levels in some areas I guess. The Telescope House stock control system seems to work very well though and can usually be relied upon, as John says.

Thanks John,

I guess that must be the case. Shame I only bought one TV EP (3-6mm Nagler) whilst the 20% off deal was on offer.

Thanks for the info guys, must be just a blip with certain suppliers.

Be careful, there are one or two out there claiming to be official TeleVue dealers who are not. If in doubt, check with TeleVue.

Thanks Steve, I checked on the TV website prior to placing my order that this company was an official dealer.

Maybe not one of the "big players" then...

I shall stick with a company which maintains decent stock levels and indicate stock levels on their website. Telescope House seems to be very good from first impressions.

Thanks

Mark

I agree. Telescope House have been excellent with my TV purchases (even though there was an issue with both (one solved and the other not which they replaced). they dealt with both in an exemplary manner and I'd not buy TV anywhere else (except used).

Thanks guys!

Astro buy and sell would be mine :)

Yes very true, I have also been watching the For Sale section of this board waiting for the other TV EP's I want which are the 24mm and 35mm panoptics....

That gives me an effective field of view of 4.4, 3.8, 2.1, 0.6 - 0.3 (zoom EP) degrees with each of the eyepieces I have/will get.

Although thinking about it the 24mm and 35mm Panoptics are fairly close on FOV, might be too close. There is a gap in the EP's between 2.1 degrees and 0.6 degrees. I suppose a 9mm Nagler would be a good choice to plug the gap. (1.1 degree true FOV)

I have both and they are great together. John had his 35mm on sale for a little while, did you not see it?

Thanks, I did see one for sale on the board before, not sure who it was but I got beaten to the sale...must stop dithering on decisions as they don't hang around!

Order of priority for me is the 24mm Panoptic followed by the 9mm Nagler and lastly the 35mm Panoptic to replace the rather average Baader Aspheric 36mm EP I bought on a whim...

Not that there is anything wrong with the Baader 8-24mm EP but it is a bit quirky and the views I get from fixed EP's (especially high quality ones) takes some beating. :)

We've been waiting for a T6 Nagler since near the end of the deal, the very reliable supplier said TeleVue had sold out of that one so we are waiting for the next batch, I guess some places got stock in before this one ran out.

We've been waiting for a T6 Nagler since near the end of the deal, the very reliable supplier said TeleVue had sold out of that one so we are waiting for the next batch, I guess some places got stock in before this one ran out.

Yes this does seem to be the case, some suppliers seem to have more stock available than others. The ones which dont have stock are awaiting on the manufacturer to send them to Televue for distribution to the retailers.

The 13mm t6 and 24mm panoptics are beasts.

I got this told to me before I bought them as a pair and I am so glad I jumped at the chance. Since then I learned that normally this is the best policy with Televue. Kim and I grabbed Shane and Johns two 35mm panoptics sorry :)

I will try and get some individual reviews up asap to help? But I dont really feel I can do them justice with only one or two outings since I bought them :) I do wish this cloud would give us a break.

If you are ever in the area of Cambs Majortom, don't hesitate to contact me if you would like to see/try out my EP's.

The 13mm t6 and 24mm panoptics are beasts.

I got this told to me before I bought them as a pair and I am so glad I jumped at the chance. Since then I learned that normally this is the best policy with Televue. Kim and I grabbed Shane and Johns two 35mm panoptics sorry ;)

I will try and get some individual reviews up asap to help? But I dont really feel I can do them justice with only one or two outings since I bought them :p I do wish this cloud would give us a break.

If you are ever in the area of Cambs Majortom, don't hesitate to contact me if you would like to see/try out my EP's.

Thanks for the info Adam, so it was you who beat me to it then :)

All I have heard about these EP's is nothing but absolute praise. Just need to get the purchases past the wife!

I suspect a few people might be wondering why I am spending so much on EP's when I have an 80mm f/6.25 scope... My reason for this is that i shall be getting an 8-10 inch f/4 dob/newt in the very near future.

Top be honest the 36mm aspheric is OK as my most widest EP as I tend to use it as a super finder (14x mag) instead of the 9x50 RA finder which struggles to pick up some DSO's in my light polluted skies. It will be the last EP to replace.

Thanks for the offer, I would really like to test out the 24mm panoptic before pushing the button on purchasing one. I suspect I shall not be disappointed but you never know! :)

I'm waiting for TH to start listing the 10mm Delos :)

Yeah I am not sure about these EP's I like the idea of a long eye relief eyepiece but the physical size is quite large.

Having got used to the size of the 3-6mm and the 13mm T6 Naglers which are two very compact eyepieces I think I would find them a little large for my smallish scope.

I tend to use my ED80 on an alt/az mount so balancing the EP's can be a hassle when switching between them. Not a great hassle, just means I have to keep moving the dovetail fitting until rebalanced.

They look like Ethos in size and shape but lack all the aFOV

....They look like Ethos in size and shape but lack all the aFOV

I think the Delos eyepieces are aimed at those who want all the Ethos virtues except the massive field of view. There is a lot more to an Ethos than just it's field of view :)

I think the Delos eyepieces are aimed at those who want all the Ethos virtues except the massive field of view. There is a lot more to an Ethos than just it's field of view :)

Thanks John :-)

Yes I must admit I have yet to get my hands on an Ethos EP so I must admit I am just going off the product specifications.

I suspect the generous eye relief is the other reason for going for the Ethos range?

The eye relief of the Ethe is OK but not over generous - 15mm across the range but the 2 Delos models offer 20mm. I'm not surprised by that - ultrawide fields of view always seem to eat away at eye relief a bit :)

Archived