SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Can't make this out, could be gremlins

I still can't find my avi's from last night, what is confusing me is :-

I've been messing about today with K3 and the SPC900 capturing anything just to try and locate where my files are going. The files show as having been captured in the bottom left of K3 but when I open Registax they are nowhere to be found.

The only thing that is different about my laptop is that I put Norton 2007 security center on it last week.

I did everything exactley the same as the 1st time I tried imaging.

Have run the search engine with lots of different words/terms no luck.

Any ideas

Trudie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep but i've tried opening everything that I could find (files) they just do not appear to be there.Thanks in advance.

I am absolutley gutted I keep thinking they have to be here somewhere .

Trudie

Trudie

A couple of things.

The file will be called CCDCap0001, the next CCDCap0002 and so on. They will be found in the following default folder:

C:\Programfiles\K3Soft&Hard\K3CCDTools

If you changed the default location or incremental file name they will obviously be somewhere else!

It might seem silly but did you press Esc when you finished a capture?

Another way of searching if you haven't done so already is to search for *.avi That will bring up any and all AVIs you might have on your computer.

Sorry if you know all this.

Sorry Jamie, thought I had replied, I did'nt make any alterations to anything except to call the files Moon 03/03/07 to make it easier to recognise them HA HA HA !!!. I did this before capture but everything else was left on default/automatic settings.

I have tried searching with dates /names/ odd words/*avi etc I think I may have to accept they ain't not there.

To end capture I right clicked as I read on a post somewhere.

Thanks

Trudie

Sorry yes I set a 60 second time limit, I meant I right clicked today when playing to try and find out where they are going.

Followed some instructions from a primer on here as to changing file name, and setting capture time, but left Gamma, saturation etc, etc, on automatic as this was only my 2nd ever go at imaging, and 1st time out with new scope.

Trudie

Trudie, is you windows search set to search hidden and system files. Your Folder Options in control panel will allow you to unhide these files, but you need administrator priviledges to do so. Or you could look in your Documents and Settings/ All Users/Local/ Temp folder for them manually. I am assuming you have XP OS.

Looks like a job for Sherlock Holmes.

Hope you find them.

Ron.

Hi Trudie

I had exactly this problem, and eventually found the files as Windows media players files in My computer, then Local disc C, then program files - there they were at the bottom of all the programme files, all on their own. Try finding them first without opening either k3cc or registax. I thought i had lost them myself but knew they were there somewhere as they has eaten into hard disc space. Sorry if someone has already suggested this and no joy.

PB

Hi Trudie,

I'm no computer expert and other people on the forum may know better but I did have an experience similar to yours.

I collected some data at work late one evening and in a rush to be out the door I called my filename the date I was collecting the data. I then had an awful time trying to find the file because the system had interpreted the forward slashes in the filename as subdirectories. You might find that this has helped to 'hide' your files too.

Here's hoping you find your AVI's soon.

Malcolm.

It may be worth looking in your My Documents folder and trawling through the sub folders, XP has an annoying habit of putting everything in there that doesnt have a specific default folder.

Thats IT, I give up, I have tried everything nothing works, so am now going on Rog's suggestion and unistalling K3 and then will reinstall, I think I must have a glitch in the software and they were not saved.

Trudie

PS Jamie whats R.T.F.I

PPS thanks all for your help

With my K3CCD, I have created a directory on the root of C drive, called (cunningly) K3. Then I don't have to hunt around for files!

Sorry to hear your troubles, Trudie. Did you do an AVI search in Windows, only un-installing K3 will not delete the AVI's from your hard drive.

Thanks for everything folks but unfortunatley the missing avi's are not going to turn up apparentley when you change the file name (as I read you could do) you cannot use / in the name . Bit of a harsh lesson to learn, but thems the breaks I guess !!!

Thanks again, for now I have got the hump so even though its a clear night I can't be bothered to move of the settee.

Regards

Trudie

that's ridiculous. Why can't it simply show an error message like it does in every other program - "the following symbols are not allowed in the file name:..." ???

I think you have grounds to complain...

Andrew

that's ridiculous. Why can't it simply show an error message like it does in every other program - "the following symbols are not allowed in the file name:..." ???

I think you have grounds to complain...

Andrew

Spot on Andrew. Windows will not automatically delete a file simply because it has an invalid character in the filename. It gives the opportunity to rename it. At least that has always been the case when I have made that mistake.

Ron. :)

Archived