SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Don't wait to replace those standard eyepieces!

StevieDvd

Most of my eyepiecs were the ones that came with the scopes. I did buy a 'quality' barlow (Celestron Ultima) but thought it may be a while till I started to build up some 'quality' eyepieces as well.

I needed to get a shoe & connector for a multi-reticule rdf I got off astroboot and knew that Skys The Limit (STL) sold them - I'm not one to do small purchases so I had a excuse to spend a little more.

The result was I ended up buying 3 of the BST Explorer ED eyepieces in 5mm, 15mm & 25mm and collecting them as STL are local to me. Now I'm no expert in eyepieces but I had not expected such a huge difference between the scope supplied ones and more expensive ones. I know in my other headphone/hi-fi hobby that small differences can come at big price jumps so was not expecting too much.

The images on the STL website don't really shout quality and to be honest nor does the pricing; but given a full refund option on offer I only had time to lose on the deal.

As we have not had much in the way of clear skies, or dark skies for that matter, I have not had too much usage from them so far. But the actual weight and quality is better than I expected from the web pictures, they are 'almost' par focal lenses as a bonus too.

So if you are fairly new to sky watching hobby (watching out for a clear sky being the main pastime) you may want to invest some time with some better eyepieces then the factory supplied ones - sooner than later. Especially if you can borrow them to try!

I expect some of the seasoned veterans will tell me that the real quality does come at a cost and no doubt that is true but I wish I had bridged this first gap a little sooner.

From a quick search of the forum I did find mention and recommendation of these so I did not buy blind-folded. As stated they are a jump up in seeing and you do need to get the viewing angle right so I'll add my humble recommendation too. What also impressed me was that with such a light sky I had not expected the to see too much at all so when I saw the detail better eyepieces could bring I knew this had been the right decision.

When the credit crunch stops crunching maybe I can get some £200 eyepieces to compare (or is that still cheap to some?)!!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the new EP's glad to hear you were impressed. I have no experience of the BST's but used the TMB clones which are said to be equal in there views. (all be it 58' as apposed to 60') I think the TMB clones are outstanding for the money. I often wish I had gone with a set of the clones or BST's.

SPACEBOY

I have to disagree. I "upgraded" by buying a TMB 3.2mm to give me a good high power EP for my ED80.

Apart from the increased eye-relief it is rubbish compared with my cheapo Celestron EP kit 4mm. Less contrast, "flare" round the image. All in all a big mistake.

Lots of people like TMBs, but I'm not one of them.

Maybe I got a "bum" one?

I've used a number of the TMB Planetaries and I had one that was not so good as well - a 6mm in my case. The others were fine though.

I guess they can't do much in the way of quality control to knock them out at these prices so some duff ones will slip through :)

Thats one of the things you get when you pay a bit more - consistent quality - Tele Vue test all their eyepieces before sale.

I have BST explorer's in 5mm, 8mm and 18mm and think they're great value for money.

Like Donkeiller I got a 3.2 TMB and wish I hadn't, but having not tried the longer focal length versions can't comment on the rest of the range.

I have to disagree. I "upgraded" by buying a TMB 3.2mm to give me a good high power EP for my ED80.

Apart from the increased eye-relief it is rubbish compared with my cheapo Celestron EP kit 4mm. Less contrast, "flare" round the image. All in all a big mistake.

Lots of people like TMBs, but I'm not one of them.

Maybe I got a "bum" one?

That's interesting to hear DK. I've owned both a 4mm Celestron plossl & 4mm Clone and TBH there was no comparison the clone won hands down for me. Granted they were used in an 8" & 10" reflector so if they would have performed differently for me in your scope is any bodies guess. I have said many a time what works for one may not work for another and while the BST's and clones seem to work well for me and the OP they obviously don't appear so for you. I'm must admit I have found that short FL, large eye lens ep's suffer with flare from time to time as I also found it to happen with my 6mm Radian but the problem only happened when my eye/face was warm and the EP was cold. (or was it the other way :)) I put it down to steaming up between the top 2 lenses as it didn't do it all the time.

I too have found the QC very variable on the TMB Clones. My first 3.2mm and 4mm were pretty terrible. And the first 8mm i bought from Alan was rattling badly plus had grease on the optics. Alan swapped out this eyepeice without hesitation, the replacement was perfect. Also picked another 4mm, which is also as good as you could hope for at this price.

I personally prefer the BST Explorer (Paradigm ED). Better build, nicer design and near Hyperion class optics for 40% of the cost. And i've not had a duffer from the BST range.

So mixed feelings on the eyepieces, but on the whole an improvement over the standard eyepieces.

Was going to consider a zoom but common sense says you must sacrifice something to get the range in one eyepiece.

I've just put a set of Bobs knobs on my sct so need a nice clear night to re-collimate so I can give the new glass some serious usage. :)

I have only really had the BSTs and they were all really excellent eyepieces for the money. I had one TMB clone (8mm) and this was pretty good but the build quality was not as good as the BSTs in my opinion.

your comment about small jumps in quality costing lots will apply if you want to improve from there. Televue are better than the BSTs but only marginally and the cost is way more of course.

your comment about small jumps in quality costing lots will apply if you want to improve from there. Televue are better than the BSTs but only marginally and the cost is way more of course.

Thanks that's good to hear. On th other hand if someone said for £5 more you can get the best quality available ... :)

Vixen Npl's are the way to go for me, I upgraded to a celestron plossl from the Skywatcher rubbish it came with when | got my scope but never fount it that sharp so I tried the 10mm Vixen NPL and couldn't believe how sharp and clear it was for the money, £30 at FLO. Now using The NPL's for the rest of my EP set.

I have only ever used quality EP's and never had the pleasure (misfortune) of using the standard EP's packaged as part of of a scope package.

I am tempted to borrow one or two just to see the difference!

I have only ever used quality EP's and never had the pleasure (misfortune) of using the standard EP's packaged as part of of a scope package.

I am tempted to borrow one or two just to see the difference!

I wouldn't bother, just be content you never had to experience them :)

Beginning to look like it's just me who liked the clones then :) I must admit the BST design and 60' FOV for a long term EP would have been the more appealing of the two. At the time I only went with the clone to see how often I would use that FL before getting a more pricey replacement. I found the views were so good that I often ended up using them but needless to say the lure of the green and black soon made them redundant. I have certainly found this thread interesting as I was more than happy with the TMB's but it would like there is obviously an issue with quality control. Glad to hear for once it would appear I was one of the lucky ones.:)

Beginning to look like it's just me who liked the clones then :) I must admit the BST design and 60' FOV for a long term EP would have been the more appealing of the two. At the time I only went with the clone to see how often I would use that FL before getting a more pricey replacement. I found the views were so good that I often ended up using them but needless to say the lure of the green and black soon made them redundant. I have certainly found this thread interesting as I was more than happy with the TMB's but it would like there is obviously an issue with quality control. Glad to hear for once it would appear I was one of the lucky ones.:)

My current clones are excellent ;) Just a few QC issues initially that's all.

From all I have read on SGL, and from my own (albeit limited) experience, I have come to the conclusion that eyepieces are a very individual item. Any eyepiece that one person says is great will be met with 'I don't think it's as good as ...' from someone else. Not that I think this is necessarily a bad thing, but I think one needs to be careful about taking advice on what is 'best'. Personally, I like the pentax eyepieces and am gradually building my collection, but I would be reluctant to advise someone else to spend £250 a time on one without them trying it out in situ first.

Just my 2p ....

From all I have read on SGL, and from my own (albeit limited) experience, I have come to the conclusion that eyepieces are a very individual item. Any eyepiece that one person says is great will be met with 'I don't think it's as good as ...' from someone else. Not that I think this is necessarily a bad thing, but I think one needs to be careful about taking advice on what is 'best'. Personally, I like the pentax eyepieces and am gradually building my collection, but I would be reluctant to advise someone else to spend £250 a time on one without them trying it out in situ first.

Just my 2p ....

This is very true Demon. When ever I chat EP's I always try to remeber to point out what works for me may not work for someone else. Plus there is the point that not everyone has the same scopes and exit pupil & magnification (views) can vary hugely. It would now also appear with the cheaper ep's that quality control can also play a part. In the case of the clones there appears to be a common issue with the 3.2mm so although I think the 4 & 5mm I had were superb value for money it would be unwise to comment on others in different FL's. It is a shame as I really liked the TMB clones and for someone on a budget I honestly think these are a contender although for a few £ more the BST's would be a better long term investment.

Off the top of my head there was only 2 EP's I'm quoted as would recommend to people committing to spend a lot of money and that was the 3-6 Nagler zoom and the 31mm Baader Hyperion but even these two EP's would have there fans and critiques depending on what the person requires from the EP.

It is all down to personal preference and what will work for one person may not work for the next but when someone asks for advice what other option do you have ? You can only offer advice on your own personal experiences and leave it down to the person asking if they wish to take it or not.

Off the top of my head there was only 2 EP's I'm quoted as would recommend to people committing to spend a lot of money and that was the 3-6 Nagler zoom and the 31mm Baader Hyperion but even these two EP's would have there fans and critiques depending on what the person requires from the EP.

Which is funny because I love my 3-6mm Nagler zoom and use it far more an any other EP however I dislike my 36mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric EP for its edge sharpness and astigmatism when used with my ED80.

Each to their own :)

It just goes to show ......... I've owned and sold 3-6mm Nagler zooms twice. Both times, no matter how much I tried, I could not get comfortable with them :)

As has been very accurately stated - personal preferences play a large part in eyepiece choice :)

The problem is that trying a number of different designs out to see which ones we do prefer can be an expensive business - just as well there is a healthy used market in astro gear ;)

I think there is something to be said for not jumping right in and buying new eyepieces straightaway. Spending some time actually using what you've got allows you time for the skies to clear ;), and to get used to observing.

As has been said we all have different requirements, not to mention budgets. I've read posts from people who have enjoyed cheaper EPs, and others who have had problems with more expensive ones (even the mighty Televue make mistakes :)). The great thing about SGL is there is normally some good advice to be had so a prospective buyer can weigh up the pros and cons.

Anyone got an 8mm Hyperion they don't want??? :)

Which is funny because I love my 3-6mm Nagler zoom and use it far more an any other EP however I dislike my 36mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric EP for its edge sharpness and astigmatism when used with my ED80.

Each to their own :)

How strange you say that. I think my 31mm Baader is superb in my reflectors but found the performance was no where near the same in a recently acquired Evo 120 :) So it's safe to say the 31 & 36 mm Hyperion's are not recommended for use in refractors.

It just goes to show ......... I've owned and sold 3-6mm Nagler zooms twice. Both times, no matter how much I tried, I could not get comfortable with them :)

Sorry to go off topic but why do you feel this is the case John? I originally put your preference down to the tight ER but as you have BGO's this obviously can't be the case. Looking at the lens one might consider it on the tight side but even with my average sized eye lashes I have never found there to be an issue.

Archived