Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy Terrorists

Dann

In the last couple of weeks clear nights have been few and far between in the South East.

If it looks reasonably clear then out I plod to set things up before sitting back in a deck chair, flicking through the forums and waiting for darkness to fall.

Only, the last three nights I've set up a randomly selected neighbour decided to have a bonfire and fill the vicinity with smoke and ash which rains down into the garden and my refreshing carbonated beverage :)

Its as if they have all joined some kind of cult! :)

Most frustrating, anyone else have any tales of 'Astronomy Terrorism?'

In the last couple of weeks clear nights have been few and far between in the South East.

If it looks reasonably clear then out I plod to set things up before sitting back in a deck chair, flicking through the forums and waiting for darkness to fall.

Only, the last three nights I've set up a randomly selected neighbour decided to have a bonfire and fill the vicinity with smoke and ash which rains down into the garden and my refreshing carbonated beverage ;)

Its as if they have all joined some kind of cult! :)

Most frustrating, anyone else have any tales of 'Astronomy Terrorism?'

Bad luck there Dann! :p

I have LP to deal with from the neighbours at the rear of my garden. Fortunately, since I built a black-out blind it has helped to considerably cut out a lot, and I've been able to get some great views in, and preserve my night vision :)

Astronomy Terrorists. That's an interesting term for it....

Now let me think. It must have been the teenagers in testing out their exhaust pipes, car headlights, and basically the whole inventory of Halfords on their customised cars, as well as practicing handbrake turns in the car parks at observing sites. And the people who keep calling the police to come and visit us when we're out on a club observing session in a public space.

Oh, and some of the Health & Safety rules, which prevented me from mentioning our local club when I went out on unofficial observing evenings, just in case they had an accident on the drive home and tried to sue.

And the person who decided about a year ago, that the image galleries in the astro magazines should be devoted exclusively to submissions from those living mountain-top observatories with the most expensive equipment possible.

Astronomy Terrorists. That's an interesting term for it....

Now let me think. It must have been the teenagers in testing out their exhaust pipes, car headlights, and basically the whole inventory of Halfords on their customised cars, as well as practicing handbrake turns in the car parks at observing sites. And the people who keep calling the police to come and visit us when we're out on a club observing session in a public space.

Oh, and some of the Health & Safety rules, which prevented me from mentioning our local club when I went out on unofficial observing evenings, just in case they had an accident on the drive home and tried to sue.

And the person who decided about a year ago, that the image galleries in the astro magazines should be devoted exclusively to submissions from those living mountain-top observatories with the most expensive equipment possible.

i find that annoying, the pics in the mags from the high end stuff, id rather see the stuff the average joe gets in them give me more assperiations of good DSO pics (i no we got them here but id still like to see them more in the press)

one iv got is the street light at present directly in the view of lyra where im tryin to image widefield :) grrrrriv only got good views of east n south n all the east has street lights :)

another one, neigbour called police to my aunts house (where i live) at 3 in the morning when i was out observing because they thought i was trying to burgle as they had seen be to quote their words" pottering around for some time" yes iv lived here for 4 years now! hmm

hi garethmob,

going off you're last quote you being a burgler,were you wearing a black and white stipped top with a black mask on you're face?lol.

dave.

of course not i was wareing a baraclarva all dressed in black, with a really dim torch:P

Yeah I have a big one. My back garden backs on to 'Havant College playing fields. These fields contain a football pitch. and every night untill 11pm they have their flood lights on. This isnt too bad at the moment, but when the nights get darker earlier... its destroying.

If LP wasn't bad enough, they are erecting a 50 foot Mobile Telephone mast about 70 yards from me. On the pavement, smack in the middle of a residential area. Right in the sight line of the only clear field of view I have.

So much for the chance to object we never had!

JonJon :)

The only light I have ever seen on my southern horizon came from about 25 miles away. A huge laser pointing upwards and slowly lowering to the horizon. It only lasted a few minutes.

And WHO WERE THESE ASTRO TERRORISTS???

...the Observatory of Haute Provence, discovers of the first exo-planet.

Olly

When I lived in Italy, the worst "astro terrorists" were fireflies - thousands of them, each with a built in green laser..... They loved to zoom round in mating swarms 10m above me.

Back here, it's teenage yobs in pick up trucks, with spot lights and 12 bores after anything that moves (presumably including astronomers).

Chris

Here, in my terrace I only have a clear view due south and east.

But, as if street lights weren't enough, some neighbours keep one or two outdoor lights on the whole night. I have no idea what's the purpose of keeping those lights on all through the night, but very often they do.

Archived