Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from London

spacebabe

Hello I am new to astronomy and live in London. I would like some information on which telescope to get. I would like to view as much as I can in terms of stars the moon and planets:-/

Any help would be a bonus

Thanks

Claire

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spacebabe, for convenience, adaptability, bang for your buck and quality, its pretty hard to go past the SkyWatcher SkyLiner 200p dobsonian.

If you have a look at our sponsors - First Light Optics - website, you will see that the 200p Dobsonian is around £280, which leaves you another £120 to get a wide view eyepiece to go with it.

The advantage with that telescope is that should you choose to, you can mount the OTA on an EQ mount later should you choose to.

My 0.02p

Alan

Hi Claire... & welcome to the forum

Living in London you will possibly be looking for something portable...an 8 inch dobsonian is under £300 & if you get into astro-photography at a later date it will easily go onto a GoTo mount. There is a group that meet in Regents Park...might be an idea to pop along...have a chat...& get a look through the scopes there

Hi Spacebabe and welcome to SGL :)

There are a vast variety of scopes available in that price range. You need to familiarise yourself with the different types available. I would suggest an initial trip to Widescreen Center just off Baker Street to have a look at some and ask a few questions.

What you will definitely need is a knowledge of the sky. Start taking Sky at Night mothly for a good intro and download a copy of "Stellarium" which is free planetarium software.

Take it slowly at first and stick with the well known brands - have a skim round FLO (link at top of page). Any specific questions - just pop up a thread in the beginners help section :)

My advice would be not to do anything yet. Have a look round here, ask a few questions, visit a few dealer's sites, then ask some more questions!

You have enough money to get some decent kit. You just need to find what is right for you.

Archived