Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I procrastinated and I dipped out!

Luke Inup

I just missed a nice 150mm Phenix refractor on 'Flea-Bay' for £300.00.

I think it would have suited me. Never been out of its box, but for the photograph session for the auction!

I was indecisive, and now I am gritting my teeth. I could have had that telescope. True, 150mm was larger than I wanted, and it would be heavy to cart about, but for the money I wouldn't be complaining!

Oh well, another lesson! :)

JonJon :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JonJon, best of luck next time! I hate it when that happens! :)

Only myself to blame Tel..... And also as it would have been a pick-up purchase, I could have smuggled it in, under 'SWIMBO's' radar, then claimed I had found it! :)

JonJon!

If it's any consolation the optical quality of those can be variable. I actually think £300 is a lot to pay for a used 6" achromat unless it comes with a really decent mount (ie: not the one generally supplied with Phenix refractors) - I paid around half that for the 3 that I've owned.

Very True Thomas...

I am thinking of one of these btw.

SkyWatcher Evostar 102mm EQ3-2 Refractor Telescope

Anyone with any info I would be pleased to listen.

Obviously not a 'star', for the money, but it might well suit me for casual observing, until I get my hand in again!

JonJon

If its any help im in the process of doing a head to head with the evostar 102 and my tal 100rs but wont have the review done for a few weeks, keep an eye out in review section, the evo 102 is a nice achro

Thank you John..

Yes that does make me feel a little better Tel.

I posted elsewhere, that I might be borrowing my daughter's Helios 90mm, on a semi-permanent basis. Although, I'd rather not deprive her, if she takes it into her mind to get back into the 'game' herself.

So I will definitely be having a look at the 'Evo'...

Thanks again..

Very True Thomas...

I am thinking of one of these btw.

SkyWatcher Evostar 102mm EQ3-2 Refractor Telescope

Anyone with any info I would be pleased to listen.

Obviously not a 'star', for the money, but it might well suit me for casual observing, until I get my hand in again!

JonJon

Are you looking for a refractor due to fear of collimation with a reflector or because you really want one?

I'm only asking because there seem to be a lot of 1st timers looking at refractors lately and tbh I think for general use a reflector of the same price would make a more versatile purchase.

If you aren't sure and would like to have a chat with some experienced astronomers you are welcome to pop along to Walsall Astronomy Society who meet at Rushall Olympic FC every Thursday.

PM me if you want more details.

Hello Aitch,

I am not anti-reflector and you are correct, with regard to reflectors, and 'bang-for-buck'; especially for photography.

However, as you mention, collimation can be an irksome task, and one of the 'cons' with reflectors. Also dewing can be a bigger problem, not to mention the storage of say an 8" reflector.

So whilst not denigrating reflectors, I just find the convenience and portability of a refractor more attractive at my stage. That was the reason I felt the prospect of a 150mm would have been nice, but the instrument would have been barely portable, warranting a permanent observatory, for which I don't have space.

So yes, I do prefer a 102mm/4" refractor, that I can leave in the utility room, available to just 'pick-up' and go. Who knows though; I might end up with more than one of each! :)

Regards

I will PM aitch, as soon as I find out how! Don't seem to be able to do so from the thread, or your profile..

JonJon

click on the user name at top left then you get a drop down with a link to send a pm

Luke,

Just click on "aitch"'s name and you'll have several options, one of which is to send him a pm (private message).

It's a good offer, as some of these scopes are much MUCH bigger in the flesh than you might think. My Evostar 150 (same size as the one you missed) is a proper yard cannon as the yanks would say, and portable it ain't:p.

A good 4" frac, 5/6" Maksutov or 6" Newtonian would be ideal. My preference is refractors for all the reasons you state, plus I hate using a finder on a reflector, it cricks my neck:eek:, but there is no doubt you get good bang for your buck with them.

Don't give up on the secondhand big refractor market...I got my evostar 6" just a few weeks ago, Nightfisher got his recently too...they do come up, it's just a matter of trawling the adverts often and being patient (not a virtue many of us aperture addicts hare blessed with!:)).

I'd agree with John (jahmanson) ref the Phenix...I think the optics can be ok, but the hardware/mounts aren't as good as Skywatcher etc, worth waiting for the branded ones methinx.

good luck with your search:icon_salut:

Dave

I just missed a nice 150mm Phenix refractor on 'Flea-Bay' for £300.00.

I think it would have suited me. Never been out of its box, but for the photograph session for the auction!

:)

That scope has been up for auction 2 or three times already (if i'm thinking of the same one -eastern part of the country? ) ,so wait a week and it'll prob be for auction again .Asking price has dropped from 500 to 300,may be even lower next time ;)

Thanks John.

The one I saw was in Newark, Notts...

But I'll search again!

Ta!

JonJon

The best value 6" refractors tend to be the Helios ones (stick with the f8 version) as they tend to get treated as unbranded scopes on Ebay but what a lot of people don't seem to know is that Helios was the forerunner of Skywatcher and a 6" Helios Evostar is, all but cosmetically, the same OTA as the 6" SW Evostar.

Also bear in mind an EQ5 with a steel tripod is only just sufficient for a 6" f8 refractor visually (I used to have a Meade AR-6 on a CG5 and it only just coped)

Paul

If its any help im in the process of doing a head to head with the evostar 102 and my tal 100rs but wont have the review done for a few weeks, keep an eye out in review section, the evo 102 is a nice achro

As a Tal100RS owner i too am eagerly awaiting this report. I almost bought an Evostar 102 but went for the Tal in the end up based on its reputation on here.

Archived