Narrowband

The Moon and the UK to scale (Just for Fun)

boomster

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When one enters Texas on Interstate 10 from Louisiana at Orange, TX, there is a sign saying that El Paso is 710 miles west. Averaging 70 miles an hour (which is not really possible for that distance even on the interstate highway) a transit of Texas is more than 10 hours East to West. In the North panhandle, one is actually closer to Chicago than to Houston. A transit in that direction is closer to 20 hours because the road system is not as good and the distance about 750 miles.

cool pic i also thought the moon was bigger

looking at that comparison pic of the moon and the earth why does the earth not look very big in the earth rise pic taken from the moon.

i thought it would have looked massive if this is the size difference also not trying to start a conspiracy debate im sure they went there

sry for the slight hijack star

looking at that comparison pic of the moon and the earth why does the earth not look very big in the earth rise pic taken from the moon.

i thought it would have looked massive if this is the size difference also not trying to start a conspiracy debate im sure they went there

I think it's more we forget how tiny the moon looks in the sky.

I think there is an explanation to this though. The thing to do here is to think the full moon when it's on our horizon. It looks huge low down yet it looks nothing in comparison when high in the sky. The reason why it looks so much bigger on the horizon is because you see relative to day to day objects that we are familiar with. High in the sky although equal in size we have nothing to relate to it's size. This is a similar scenario with the moon pictures of earth in that there is nothing on the horizon of the moon that you can relate the size of the earth to and so it actually looks smaller than it is.

I think there is an explanation to this though. The thing to do here is to think the full moon when it's on our horizon. It looks huge low down yet it looks nothing in comparison when high in the sky. The reason why it looks so much bigger on the horizon is because you see relative to day to day objects that we are familiar with. High in the sky although equal in size we have nothing to relate to it's size. This is a similar scenario with the moon pictures of earth in that there is nothing on the horizon of the moon that you can relate the size of the earth to and so it actually looks smaller than it is.

Also your mind imagines the sky to be fairly flat so things towards the horizon must be further away thus, they must be larger if they have the same apparent diameter.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived