Narrowband

The Moon and the UK to scale (Just for Fun)

boomster

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great! :)

Thanks for sharing that Boomster. It certainly gives one a perspective of size in that context..Also means that I would be currently experiencing the 5/6 gravity whilst typing this somewhere at Crater Stevinus!

Cool! :)

Hahahaha love some of the comments on this! I guess you would need factor 9000 suncream too! At least you wouldnt hear the dodgy arcades music...

Fantastic Boomer!

BTW, where in Leeds are you? I'm in Bramley

Hi Neilius, Im in Crossgates in the thick of the street lights!!!!

Wow thats really interesting, how did you work it out?

I used google maps and scaled the uk such that the scale bar at the bottom was set to 100miles, I checked this distance on the map and it is roughly from Southport to Hull as the crow flys. I then looked for a crater of similar size (Ptolemaeus 93 miles) and adjusted the image of the uk such that this crater would sit between Hull and Southport with a little to spare to allow for the 7 miles difference!

Yes..............................Nerdy!!

I would imagine the light pollution is worse for you than for me in Crossgates, but not too far to get to a dark site, I suppose.

Yeah still looking around, thinking the Harrogate area may be best its just a case of finding somewhere to park up and be left alone !!

Here is a link showing the comparison of the earth and the moon:

Astronomy 1031 Lab 2

Thanks Boom. When you think how small the moon is compared to Earth and how far away it is, it's mind blowing how it's refection alone can illuminate our skies. Puts into perspective just how insignificant humans actually are in the grander scale of things.

Thanks Boom. When you think how small the moon is compared to Earth and how far away it is, it's mind blowing how it's refection alone can illuminate our skies. Puts into perspective just how insignificant humans actually are in the grander scale of things.

Agreed, and the sooner politicians realise this and end all wars etc the better! Humans are like flees arguing over who owns the dog!

Well said Nick, I find that opinion comes across a lot these days while viewing so many objects. (when we get the chance!)

Boomster I dont care if you think its nerdy, in my book very cool, well done for an enlightening pic :)

Great work, Boomster!

I did that once trying to wrap my mind around distances in the UK. I overlaid a google map of the UK on one of Texas at the same scale. I remember that none of the UK territory fell outside the borders of Texas. TX is almost 3 times the size of the UK.

The results surprised me. I actually thought that the UK was larger.

It's funny you say that Rabbit. We took the kids to an East coast sea side town the weekend and had took them earlier in the year on holiday to the West coast. Totaling up the total jouney times we calculated we could travel the breath of the UK in 6-7 hrs.

Archived