Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Computerised Dobsonian?

inksmithy

Hi all,

After seeing Mike's (Demon Barber) 15 inch Obsession dobsonian and falling passionately in lust with it, I have been doing a little bit of research on the computer system these amazing telescopes use.

The name of the software is Argo Navis - unfortunately I'm on my phone so I can't drop the url in this post.

In short, it is an Australian system which doesn't just supply Obsession USA, they also sell aftermarket kits which will fit to just about any mount made, motorised or not.

As I said, I've been researching it a bit and it seems that for the full hardware/software kit, unmotorised, including postage and ready for you to fit, costs less than £500.

That sounds a lot, I know, but looking at the system, it left me thinking it was actually rather inexpensive considering the overall quality.

All that out of the way, can anyone think of any alternatives? A push to system makes a lot of sense for a dob. I know Revelation did one, was it available as a self fit system?

Were there any others? What are peoples thoughts on systems like this?

Alan

Orion USA have push - to version of their Dobsonian's; called intelliscope. I am seriously considering one. $549.95 at Orion Telescopes: Dobsonian Telescopes.

Unfortunately they are about £545 - £595 in the UK - which if the same OTA as the Skywatcher brand, then a hefty premium above a non-push to as I believe an 8" is about £300.

Food for thought?

Had a brief look through an Orion 14" Truss on Saturday, was an amazing view.

Archived