Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Your REAL first scope

virtualpilot45

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our first scope was a 76mm reflector from Jessops for £35. We popped into the shop to look at a zoom lens for a camera and we saw what looked like a massive scope! We were just curious at what you could see through it.

I appreciate that cheap scopes can put some people off, it's a shame if anyone misses out because of a bad experience, but our scope worked a treat for getting us into this amazing hobby.

Our jaws dropped looking at craters on the moon through it, and we were stunned to be able to see a galaxy through it! Good job we didn't see Saturn as I think we would have passed out!!

White late 70's Tasco refractor for me as well although I could have sworn the light pollution wasn't as bad then!

It does seem like the skies were darker back then but perhaps that is just the memory fading. :)

It does seem like the skies were darker back then but perhaps that is just the memory fading. :)

In my case, I know they were darker. Simply looking at photographs of times past shows this. The village where my parents live has expanded, and ore houses means more street lights. Likewise a nearby hotel has built an annex, which is also illuminated rather brightly.

The first scope i used was my dads 60mm Tasco when i was about 10, the first scope i personally owned was the 4.5ins Tasco Relector. I was luck that i lived in Catterick Garrison in North Yorkshire, the skies were so clear back then.

Archived