SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solar Prom From 6/3/11

armicheal

Hello everyone. Its been a busy month with little time to shoot the Sun but I did get out on the 3rd and 4th. I cobbled together a video of the large prom on the 3rd and will work on the one on the 4th soon. I recently have my solar telescope tweaked at Lunt Solar Systems and its really rocking now. Clear Skyz :)

Solar Prom Video

I almost forgot, on this day I was also helping a friend figure out a good ISO/Shutter speed to use for capturing the Sun's full disk. I have a Canon XTI camera. I found that it isn't exactly the best for catching H-alpha detail but its definitely do-able. The thing I like best about the camera is its ability to take repetitive shots without the lag to write to the memory card. That's a big plus. Long story short I found that with my setup a 1/6th~1/20th shutter speed worked best and a good stack of about 75 make the image look pretty Juicy. :)

armicheal-albums-2011-devil-s-backbone-series-picture11793-solar-disk-6-3-2011.jpg

Thank you. I sometimes take for granted the clear skys we have here in Texas. I try to make the most of all the clear days that I can. I have another video I'm working on that I took on the 4th. It should be a bit longer than the first. It was a really good day.

Archived