SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PST First Light

JonH

My new PST arrived from FLO a few days ago and this morning has been my first opportunity to try it out.

I had the opportunity to look through a couple of PSTs as well as a Lunt 60 at SGL6 a few months ago so had an idea of what to expect, but I must admit, my first view this morning was a real wow moment with the sun putting on a spectacular show, at least for a noob like me.

After experimenting with the supplied eyepiece, a Meade 20mm Plossl and a Celestron X-Cel 5mm, I settled on an X-Cel 10mm. This filled the FOV nicely and produced sharp views with good contrast. I mounted the scope on a photo tripod, low enough for me to be comfortable on a garden chair, with a quick release bracket and B/S head. This worked well but I think an Alt/Az mount with slo-mo will be vital once I've modded the scope.

It was fascinating watching the proms develop and hang like cirrus clouds around the limb and, once I got my eye in, picking out various filaments across the disc was a lot of fun. It was also surprising how quickly the proms formed and changed shape. This was best appreciated by leaving the scope and returning after a few minutes.

It's been a real pleasure this morning, sitting in the sunshine with the birds singing and having my first serious viewing sess' of our nearest star. I'm totally hooked and can highly recommend it to anyone out there considering taking up solar.

Archived