SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY Solar Filter Cell

astro_al

For those of you who have already built a filter cell mount for your Baader AstroSolar safety film I would appreciate any feedback on my efforts. I just want to be double sure that I am on the right track.

I bought a used metal threaded adapter second hand a while back which connects a Coronado filter to my 60mm scope. This was a bit of an impulse buy as there is no chance of me affording a HA filter at the moment. Anyway, I thought I would use it as the basis of a homemade filter cell for the Baader film I ordered from FLO yesterday. I have used a coffee jar lid with a 70mm hole cut in it and a poster tube cap with a 60mm hole cut in it. The cap fits very tightly into the coffee lid and will hold a cardboard ring with solar film attached to it. Both lid an cap then fit into the metal adapter, again the fit is very, very tight.

I don't see anything falling apart or blowing away but I will put it in a sunny spot on its own today (weather permitting) to see what happens when it warms up. I obviously need to check for any light penetration against an artificial source once the solar film is fitted, however I would appreciate being told if I have missed anything obvious (I am very fond of my eyes :)).

Thanks in advance.

AL

post-20636-133877616457_thumb.jpg

post-20636-133877616462_thumb.jpg

post-20636-133877616466_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your replies. I will drop the cardboard ring and double sided tape onto the film and let the wrinkles fall where they may. Good to know that it doesn't affect the performance though.

Cheers

Al

I also thought I would make a solar finder from an old diagonal and end caps. Not sure how accurate it will be, probably better than watching the telescope's shadow though. Hopefully the Baader film will arrive on Monday and I can test everything out.

post-20636-133877616791_thumb.jpg

post-20636-133877616796_thumb.jpg

The Baader film arrived from FLO today so I completed the filter. I even got an hours observing in before the sun went down behind next door's house. Enjoyed it after the initial feelings of unease associated with a nagging feeling of doing something stupid went away! The DIY solar finder turned out to be pretty accurate. Looking forward to future sessions.

post-20636-133877618266_thumb.jpg

post-20636-133877618271_thumb.jpg

Archived