Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Dobson

Bucket List

Betelgeuse going super nova "the big bang"

Or any other near-by star. By all accounts we're overdue a super nova in the Galaxy, fingers crossed.

I'd like to see my son discover a way to make space travel possible for anyone. It would be cool to check out some of the planets while parked right next to it.

The Horsehead. I can 'see' it as a just-maybe-darker bit of a just-maybe-visible bit of nebulosity. I'd like to see it as it is in Ha images!

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

A large meteor land close by, after watching it streak all the way in would be rather nice.

That would be too cool, especially if it was a Martian meteorite! :)

Good question

The Milky Way from M13...

Derek

Any number of galaxies and nebula through a really huge scope and perfect skies. Maybe the pillars of creation in M16.

Maybe the pillars of creation in M16.

That's a good one. Certainly is Bucket List material IMHO :)

I think that Betelgeuse Supernova is a popular choice & I hope that we all get to witness this great event in our lifetime. Maybe next year?!!

I think that Betelgeuse Supernova is a popular choice & I hope that we all get to witness this great event in our lifetime. Maybe next year?!!

The explosion will be so bright that even though the star in the Orion constellation is 640 light-years away, it will still turn night into day and appear like there are two suns in the sky for a few weeks! :)

The Horsehead. I can 'see' it as a just-maybe-darker bit of a just-maybe-visible bit of nebulosity. I'd like to see it as it is in Ha images!

Olly

What aperture did you use to see the HH?

Yep, that as well. Wow, that is almost certainaly possible with some of the dark, clear nights I was getting last winter. Just need the appropriate filter and patience.

Edited by Beulah

Betelgeuse going super nova
Another +1 for that what a sight that would be - (with due respect to all living on Betegeuse :))

Also, the Andromeda Galaxy colliding with our own would be pretty spectacular (for a while) - it would also mean that I live to a ripe old age!!

Another +1 for that what a sight that would be - (with due respect to all living on Betegeuse :))

I hope to see this at some point. It will be an amazing and inspiring sight

The explosion will be so bright that even though the star in the Orion constellation is 640 light-years away, it will still turn night into day and appear like there are two suns in the sky for a few weeks! :)

Is this right? Won't it remain a point source, more or less? I don't know, it is a genuine question.

Olly

OK, it might not be like Tatooine in Star Wars. It will be identifiable and localized though apparently. It simply will be something cool to look at in the sky. It would appear about as bright as a full moon. Also thinking that when it shows up here, it didn't just go supernova, that means it happened 650 years ago and the light is just now getting here! :)

Edited by Telrad

OK, it might not be like Tatooine in Star Wars. It will be identifiable and localized though apparently. It simply will be something cool to look at in the sky. It would appear about as bright as a full moon. Also thinking that when it shows up here, it didn't just go supernova, that means it happened 650 years ago and the light is just now getting here! :)

650 years to get here and in the grand scheme of things its practically a next door neighbour :) We truly are only a speak of dust in the cosmos.

Another big, bolide entering the atmosphere. So far I have been lucky enough to see four (One of them split up into two, and left a persistent trail that lasted for about a minute.) Fantastic! I swear I could hear them as well as seeing the bright purple and white flashes!

JonJon :)