SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bucket List

Dobson

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that Betelgeuse Supernova is a popular choice & I hope that we all get to witness this great event in our lifetime. Maybe next year?!!

The explosion will be so bright that even though the star in the Orion constellation is 640 light-years away, it will still turn night into day and appear like there are two suns in the sky for a few weeks! :)

The Horsehead. I can 'see' it as a just-maybe-darker bit of a just-maybe-visible bit of nebulosity. I'd like to see it as it is in Ha images!

Olly

What aperture did you use to see the HH?

Yep, that as well. Wow, that is almost certainaly possible with some of the dark, clear nights I was getting last winter. Just need the appropriate filter and patience.

Another +1 for that what a sight that would be - (with due respect to all living on Betegeuse :))

I hope to see this at some point. It will be an amazing and inspiring sight

The explosion will be so bright that even though the star in the Orion constellation is 640 light-years away, it will still turn night into day and appear like there are two suns in the sky for a few weeks! :)

Is this right? Won't it remain a point source, more or less? I don't know, it is a genuine question.

Olly

OK, it might not be like Tatooine in Star Wars. It will be identifiable and localized though apparently. It simply will be something cool to look at in the sky. It would appear about as bright as a full moon. Also thinking that when it shows up here, it didn't just go supernova, that means it happened 650 years ago and the light is just now getting here! :)

OK, it might not be like Tatooine in Star Wars. It will be identifiable and localized though apparently. It simply will be something cool to look at in the sky. It would appear about as bright as a full moon. Also thinking that when it shows up here, it didn't just go supernova, that means it happened 650 years ago and the light is just now getting here! :)

650 years to get here and in the grand scheme of things its practically a next door neighbour :) We truly are only a speak of dust in the cosmos.

Another big, bolide entering the atmosphere. So far I have been lucky enough to see four (One of them split up into two, and left a persistent trail that lasted for about a minute.) Fantastic! I swear I could hear them as well as seeing the bright purple and white flashes!

JonJon :)

Archived