Narrowband

Eyepiece recommandations, please.

wrinkly

10 and 17 mm eyepieces were supplied with a 90mm Mak but intend to get an ST80 fairly soon. Read the Beginner's Eyepiece article, got out the pencil and worked out that a 25 and 40mm 'pieces are required. A 25 will arrive with the 80, so a 40mm is needed.

Bearing in mind that the only Deep Space Object I am like to study is that between my ears, wear spectacles, only have a SERPs state pension as funding, would you kind people care to suggest which 40mm you would recommend?

Thanking you in advance for your advice, after all this typing and thinking, "My brain hurts, Brian", must go for a lie down.:)

Apologies for typo in heading, unable to correct it.

TBH I would hold off on making a 40mm e/p purchase at this time. Due to the construction, you get about the same field of view with a standard 32mm e/p, but things are that little bit bigger. I would see how you get on with the e/ps you have and decide what you are actually missing.

It is easy to spend lots of e/ps 'filling in the gaps' and to find you only use very few of them. When you know what you want that your current e/ps are failing to provide, you will probably make a better purchase.

Just my 2p ...

Assuming you have a focal length of around 1250mm a 40mm ep is only going to magnify by 31.25 times. Everything will be small and maks have a relatively tighter fov too. 40mm ep's tend to have a wide fov so you'll likely be wasting much of the light.

If in doubt see if you can get hold of a loaner to try before buying :)

I think 40mm is gonna be over the top...i agree with Demon...the 32mm would be a better bet.

There are plenty of observing groups in surrey...go to 'community' then 'social groups' at the top of this page...& pop along to see what others use...you may well be able to try their lenses out on your 'scope...best (& cheapest) way to see what works for you

Hi Wrinkly,

All good advice above, also if you look in the beginners help and advice there is an excellent article by Warthog which details the range of eyepieces that you should typically have.

Clear Skies

The Baader Hyperion Clickstop Zoom is an awesome EP IMHO

8-24mm :)

Not exactly on the cheap side though....

Plossls in the longer focal lengths do come up from time to time on the used market.

UK Astro Buy and Sell or on here once you have been a member for a while and have some more posts are good sources.

Buying used will save some £££ but even before that I would follow the other good advice and get a look through one if you can.

Cheers

Archived