SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is it legal?

The blackout blind has been recommended before, as it is considered a temp structure so like you say people can't complain.

I might also look into AMEY (after asking the council) because it is extremely bright and very close the the back of my house. I could tell them we are having trouble sleeping, but it doesn't shine into our bedroom so if them came into our house to see what its like they may figure me out haha.

I like the idea of a rifle sight, maybe I could improve the idea and attach it to a rifle haha.

Hmm many more great ideas. Keep them coming :)

the light does not have to hit the bedroom window, it can be any window, if the light illuminates YOUR property against your wishes and is causing you a nuisance, you can claim anti social lighting. :)

i think AMEY would be your best bet, light shielding does work pretty fair

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a street lamp at the bottom of my garden i use a pair of long nose pliers to take the cover at the base off and switch the light off and then turn back on when im finished

i guess that if caught i will receive a warning/telling of and maybe the police would be involved if i then persisted but tbh i could not see them doing that much just a caution i would imagine

star

If we're talking halogen lights they go pop very nicely once they are hot if you spray them with a hose. :)

Not that I know anything about that kind of thing. :)

Hosepipe officer? Me officer? Oh no officer. Well maybe accidentally when I was watering the garden... you know all the gardening books say to do it at night. :p;)

I am starting to wonder how much money and people it would take to buy an Island in an ocean somewhere for the forum :) I am so fed up of light pollution and street lights.

Does anyone know Jimmy Page? .. He has at bought at least one. Maybe we could get him into Astronomy? :)

Does anyone know Jimmy Page? .. He has at bought at least one. Maybe we could get him into Astronomy? :)

The lucky guys, guess that should teach me to play guitar more when the clouds are about! :)

Ditto,chances are they wont notice you do it anyway.If it were possible to zap it from another direction,other than from your own house nobody could prove who it was who did it unless they actually caught you in the act.

I would get in stealth mode,do it from somewhere your not easily seen and zap the mother.

LOL, class ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I could never get that to work, even with a 100mw green laser.

Not that I tried of course......

When I did require to image just over the streetlight at the end of our close I just bunged a bag over the lamp, after telling the neighbours why, naturally.

i have tried this with various ones it does not work, a pair of long nose pliers to take the front plate of the said light ,they have a nice little on of switch .leave the said light of for 20 mins and then switch back on takes a bout 3 hours to warm back up

failing that, light pol is the same as carbon emmision get on to your local street lighting department. a notice the guy in the video will no commit to answering any Qs how long the street light will stay of on the vids it just goes of and the video ends?

Hi,

I have an extremely bright light out the back of my new house that shines a radiant glow of white!

I have been advised that a green laser pen will trick it into thinking it's daytime and turn it off. My question is simply. Is this legal?

My question in more depth. If I were to do this and a neighbour sees me and reports me to the council, can they fine me? arrest me? give me an asbo? or anything else?

As a sub question, has anyone actually tried this? and does it work?

Thanks for looking,

Neil

Looking at this council website it appears that some council will intervene if you're subject to direct glare from a neighbours security light. They ask that, if you're comfortable doing so, approach the neighbour and come to some mutually acceptable arrange first which is reasonable enough. Before resorting to using lasers or reporting them to the council I would suggest speaking to them about redirecting the security light or turning it off on nights when you are planning to do some star gazing.

The laser approach in particular will potentially put yourself in a difficult situation if something goes wrong with the security light because they'll likely form a link between the unexpected failing of their security light and you're sudden interest in it. At the very least it will make your neighbour far less willing to cooperate with you.

Hi Neil,

Should the laser plan fail....

There is a good observing site over the low hills heading North out of Otley. Probably about 10 mins drive for you :BangHead: I'll PM you the grid ref so you can look it up on an OS map.

Regards Steve

I could never get that to work, even with a 100mw green laser.

Not that I tried of course......

When I did require to image just over the streetlight at the end of our close I just bunged a bag over the lamp, after telling the neighbours why, naturally.

the key is in the angle, hitting the sensor at any old angle wont work, you have to try to get it to hit from slightly above as the sensors are sunk into the housing some.

i still would recommend a call to AMEY though and get a decent shield fitted full time

To be honest, I'm a little surprised this thread has remained up, since it's talking about tampering with council property and goofing about with laser pointers.

Having said that, I just tried it and can confirm that it didn't work with a puny little 1MW green laser.

• 5 months later...
This thread has gone from 'Is it legal' to 'Can we do it without getting caught'. To be honest if someone saw you every night with your telescope and noticed a street light regularly going off when you pointed at it, they may just add two and two together to work out what you're doing. Either that, or they'll think you're Dumbledore. Sadly the latter is unlikely.

Just say 'expeliamus' or something magical as you do it. This will make the latter a lot more believable!

Archived