Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If you could name your scope...

SoulFrenzy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been anthropomorphic with my telescopes. My current stable and their names are:

Lunt LS60THa/B600, "Eye of Sauron", which jumped to my mind the first look I had at the sun with this awesome tool;

Teeter Telescopes 18" Truss Dob, "Derrick", since it looks like a derrick without its shroud;

Meade 10" 2120 SCT/Atlas-G, "Ol' Blue Eye", because one evening I was doing some fix-up on the optical tube and while paging through the channels on television I ran across a replay of an old Frank Sinatra concert special, "Old Blue Eyes Is Back";

Orion 90mm ShortTube refractor, "Little Guy", because, well, compared to the rest of 'em, he sure is.

I see the damn things so infrequently I'd probably forget what they were called.

I've not thought about naming the scopes. Maybe I should - it would certainly make the people that know me think I've lost it (again) :smiley:

Ant

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

most of my scopes are "baptised". The tradition was initially to name them after persons who lived nearby had had some astronomy involvement, but some others were named differently. However, Newtonians always turned out to be female !

156/930mm self made Newtonian: LIN (LIttle Newtonian)

257/1140mm self made Newtonian: LAN (LArge Newtonian)

Lin and Lan are also Vietnamese girl's names, so they must be female.

200/1000mm Skywatcher Newtonian: Mrs Parsons.

(Originally Parsons from Grubb-Parsons as I live near Newcastle, but my former partner insisted it had to be female !).

102/660 Vixen ED refractor: Grubb (again from Grubb-Parsons)

117/1750mm Luton refractor: Mr Temple Chevalier (short "Chevi") - he was mathematician at Durham University and he had an observatory in the village of Esh nearby.

150/2250mm Zeiss Cassegrain: Carl (for Carl Zeiss).

BTW this instrument is currently leaving me.

Williams Optics 80/555mm ED refractor: Magellan

(as it is my travel scope. Originally a Meade ETX90RA was named so but it got later replaced by the ED).

150/3000mm Schiefspiegler: Didgeridoo

(it is made completely of wood and really looks like one !)

60/700mm Tasco on 10K mount: "Altehrwuerdiger Refraktor" (German, approximately "old honest refractor" - have it since 1984).

Currently I am looking for a name for my 10" Ritchey-Chretien. "Richard", "[removed word]" and "Kretin" have been dismissed already, I am still searching. :)

Mines called 'The ex'.....

Because she can see into the past, she can see into the future, she can be oh so frustrating and annoying. She costs me everything I have and everytime I go out at night she's there, begging me to notice her.

But am I bitter?

I call mine a "scope" or as in Czech, "dalekohled", as I do not desire to look like having a love afair with an aluminium tube :) but when in rollicking mood, I call it a "peephole" and when in oposite, I call it "piece of sh--" when it annoys me, especially the mount

Archived