SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

If you could name your scope...

SoulFrenzy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of the scopes here were made in China and have been given incredibly English names :)

After some thought from this morning's post my EQ6 Pro is definitely now called Sammo on account of him being beefy and Chinese, as is Sammo Hung.

big johnny holmes cos of its length and girth!

Well me missus was under the false impression that Focal Length was the most important attribute for going deep until I told her that Aperture was the most important attribute for a pleasurable pleasing........view of Deep sky objects. I usually have a smoke while she's fiddling with the knobs and when she's finished the.....collimating, we're ready to get down to business....I'm seeing stars by the end of it.

Oh, I almost forgot the subject of the thread! :) My scope is called Knightrider.

3891005194_39aaa47d27.jpg3891005280_e9a96d1357.jpg

I've decided to call the dob Alfred, after Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore :). The f/4 newt I shell name Lucifer :icon_eek:

EDIT: If we're naming mounts, too, the HEQ5 would be Copernicus.

I had not even considered naming mine, until reading this thread, i am going to be a little different and name both mount and scope as both are important to each other, let's see if you like this :- yin and yang and the explanation:- Yin Yang Meaning

Or is it too complicated lol.

• 1 month later...

My first two scopes were Tatjana and Turandot, small newtonians.

Then the dob was called Bertha (as in Big Bertha)

The Meade LX10 Cassegrain took the moniker Cassiopeia.

But the more recently acquired Revelation 80mm apo and Coronado scope have not been given names that have stuck.....

Calibos, don't tell me its talks as well? (...I bet it does :smiley:) KatieM, I also call my 6"(F12) scope Big Bertha as it reminds me of one of those big WW I howitzer guns which was made by Krupp. I got the idea one night when I saw it silhouetted against the Moon on top of the pillar extension on my NEQ6. Apparently the german name was actually 'Dicke' Bertha (...but we won't go there:D ) hence 'big' will do for now!:):D

It does have one advantage and that is my fellow observing chums use it to load up their cars at the end of an observing session - damn cheek!

James

p.s 'Dicke' means fat but it is clear which ever word I was going to use was going to get me into trouble.:evil6::D

I though the original "big Bertha" was the name the French gave to the Prussian gun that bombarded Paris in 1871 (Grande Berthe).

Calibos, don't tell me its talks as well? (...I bet it does :smiley:) KatieM, I also call my 6"(F12) scope Big Bertha as it reminds me of one of those big WW I howitzer guns which was made by Krupp. I got the idea one night when I saw it silhouetted against the Moon on top of the pillar extension on my NEQ6. Apparently the german name was actually 'Dicke' Bertha (...but we won't go there:D ) hence 'big' will do for now!:):D

It does have one advantage and that is my fellow observing chums use it to load up their cars at the end of an observing session - damn cheek!

James

p.s 'Dicke' means fat but it is clear which ever word I was going to use was going to get me into trouble.:evil6::D

Never thought of naming them until now - Starfinder for the Etx and Echo for the dobbie on account of it being used to look for DSO,s which are really echos from the past, looking as they were several million light years ago. I often wonder what they look like now.

Atacamallama, I hadn't heard of that version of "Big Bertha" in 1871. I know the Germans commissioned a super gun that was in service from March-August 1918 which fired 210lb shells at Paris from a range of 82 miles having attained an altitude of 25 miles. The French called it Big Bertha but its actual name was "Kaiser Wilhelm Gestchutz" (Emperor William Gun) although this gun and the one I refrred to above were both made by Krupp. I would have chosen this version had my scope been an F15! :smiley::D

James

(p.s I hadn't realised that the high velocity of each shell severely wore away the inside casing of the barrel to such an extent, that the shells had to be fired in a certain order as each one was slightly larger than the last)

Archived