Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

Hi from Bradford.

BrightestBlue

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello and possibly seek some advice.

I am new to astronomy and have aquired a few bits and bobs.

My wonderful wife bought me a Celestron Astromaster 130 eq for my birthday as a suprise.

I presume it is Ok for the task at hand, i.e moon, some planets and possibly DSO's ? ( really would like to see some nice clusters ).

Also is this scope any good for viewing most messier objects ?

As I said earlier i have aquired a few things such as : Turn Left at Orion ( which is fantastic ), a planisphere, and downloaded Stellarium.

Would you recommend I buy a barlow lens ? I currently only have the 25mm and 10mm supplied with the scope. I have used both and understand that the 25mm is an erecting e/p only and from what I read is best for terrestrial viewing. What lenses or any other kit you would recommend for a begginer to start out with.

Sorry if I seem to be going on a bit but I have been waiting for ages to try my hand at astronomy and can't wait to start properly.

If anyone out there has a 130 eq please let me know what you think of it, and if poss post any images you may have captured , I would be very grateful indeed.

Like I said sorry for going on, cant wait to hear any replies.

Many thanks.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Welcome to SGL.

As you can see I don't have the same scope as you but am sure someone will be along soon who has and will be able to answer your queries.

You have made a good start by downloading Stellarium and getting yourself a copy of Turn Left at Orion, both tremendous to get you on your way.

Enjoy.

Hi, BB, and welcome to the forum.

The 130 is a great starter scope. You should be able to see all the Messier objects with that scope from a darks site, although some will require you to 'get your eye in' to see them well. FWIW I suggest you get used to using the equipment you have before splashing out on a barlow (or anything else). When you know what you want and why you want it that is the time to buy. You will be amazed what this kit will show you. Usually, you can only view things 'erect' if you have a 45 degree erecting diagonal. I suspect the e/p will show things inverted as usual?

As for current clusters:

Globulars: M3, M5, M13

Open: M6, M11, M26

HTH

Edited by Demonperformer

A warm welcome from myself in Leeds Martin!

I bet your skies are the same as mine - orange!

Get yourself out to the dark skies of the Dales - you'll see lots with that scope.

Best regards - Steve

Welcome BB,

Welcome to SGL

I'm also from Bradford. :) Have you been to your local astronomy club? Its quite a busy little place, with plenty of different folks and scopes. They have access to a dark(ish) site too.

You'd be most welcome. index

As has been mentioned before, get used to your scope before splashing out on new bits of kit - far too easy to do and then realize that you should have bought something different to what you thought you needed - been there done that!

AlanB

Hi Brightest Blue. I guess we are lucky folks (I was given a telescope for my birthday).

I'm finding that the hardest thing to get is a clear sky! Why are there so many clouds :)

Good luck with it all.

Hi, BB, and welcome to the forum.

The 130 is a great starter scope. You should be able to see all the Messier objects with that scope from a darks site, although some will require you to 'get your eye in' to see them well. FWIW I suggest you get used to using the equipment you have before splashing out on a barlow (or anything else). When you know what you want and why you want it that is the time to buy. You will be amazed what this kit will show you. Usually, you can only view things 'erect' if you have a 45 degree erecting diagonal. I suspect the e/p will show things inverted as usual?

As for current clusters:

Globulars: M3, M5, M13

Open: M6, M11, M26

HTH

Hi Demonperformer,

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the advice.

As for the 25mm e/p it actually does show things "erect" and doesn't require a prism ( im assuming that is one of those 45 degree extra thingies ).

Really chuffed about the messier objects, and I'm lucky enough to already have a caravan in the deepest darkest dales. Quite funny really I looked up last weekend and didn't know where to start, all of the more familiar formations seen at home, seemed to jave just melted into the vastness of stars, quite amazing . Thanks for the list of globulars, a good starting point I think.

Thanks again.

Edited by BrightestBlue

Welcome BB,

Welcome to SGL

I'm also from Bradford. :) Have you been to your local astronomy club? Its quite a busy little place, with plenty of different folks and scopes. They have access to a dark(ish) site too.

You'd be most welcome. index

As has been mentioned before, get used to your scope before splashing out on new bits of kit - far too easy to do and then realize that you should have bought something different to what you thought you needed - been there done that!

AlanB

Hi AlanB and thanks for the warm welcome.

This is great I live near Eccleshill and was wondering where my local club was. I see that the next meeting is on Mon the 20th. I will definatley try and make it.

Many thanks

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL :)

As mentioned above try and find a local astro soc or observing group. You'll be able to borrow one or two ep's during a session to help you decide what you'd like to purchase. You may find that a new finder on that scope is more of a priority initially. :icon_eek: