SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M13 - Great Hercules Cluster

Dave Smith

wow :) another winner ! what were the capture details for us learners :icon_eek:

Oops, sorry I forgot to add the details.

15 x 5 minute sub exposures with a Canon 40D through a Vixen FL102S telescope (102mm diam and FL 900mm F8.8 refractor). Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker and processed in photoshop CS2 (including an application of Neat Image noise reduction software)

Dave

Hi Dave, hope you dont mind but I ran a couple of Noels actions on your jpeg to clean up the horizontal banding and boost the star colour. Not sure if there should be that many red stars in M13 though :) need something to compare it against.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60533&stc=1&d=1307639972

post-18171-133877615679_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave, hope you dont mind but I ran a couple of Noels actions on your jpeg to clean up the horizontal banding and boost the star colour. Not sure if there should be that many red stars in M13 though :) need something to compare it against.

I am very happy for anyone to try to improve any of my images. I will try Noel's actions for the banding but those red stars don't look right to me. I haven't seen anything like that on others images. The effect may have been caused by my use of Neat Image to reduce colour noise. I'll have another play with it in the morning.

Dave

It's good and sharp. Re noise, I'd have thought five minute subs at f 8.8 were a bit short, maybe?

Olly

Thanks for that Olly. I only did 5 min subs as the sky wasn't very dark and M13 is relatively bright. Also I probably need a longer total exposure. I will give it another go when the nights get a bit longer.

Dave

Thanks for that Olly. I only did 5 min subs as the sky wasn't very dark and M13 is relatively bright. Also I probably need a longer total exposure. I will give it another go when the nights get a bit longer.

Dave

Worth a try. It is just that you will get more noise in the background sky with so low a level of signal, even if it is enough to bring out the stars nicely - which it has.

Olly

Hi Alan

Yes I did see your request, but have been a bit busy today. I hope this is what you want. These are a single frame that has been converted to tif (from RAW) and then stretched in photoshop but nothing else except reduced in size and saved as a jpg for posting here.

As before one is the full field of view and the other a crop to enable the finer detail to be seen. The blue colour is due to me using a CLS light pollution filter which Deep Sky Stacker can correct. You need to click on the thumbnails to see them at full size.

Dave

post-14654-133877616277_thumb.jpg

post-14654-133877616283_thumb.jpg

Cheers Dave.

That's very useful to see. Even though my 6 minute stack doesn't have the same depth as your single 5 min sub, it does give me hope that I can get a lot more detail out of shooting short 6-second exposures, even if the individual subs appear somewhat devoid of information.

Alan

Archived