Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Moon photo attempt

HumanEnergy

Finally had a couple of cloud free nights so I had a go at photographing the Moon last night. Taken with a Sony A-55 DSLR camera attached directly to a Celestron Nexstar SLT 127 with a t-adaptor.

Underexposed it a bit originally to cut down some of the glare, then upped the brightness a bit in Photoshop Elements.

Moon-2001-06-07-XL.jpg

Off to a great start there. There's a bit more noise than needs be... you don't need ISO1600... drop the ISO to the lowest value. That will drop the shutter speed a lot, but that's ok. You'll probably get a shutter speed of around 1/30 or so... I regularly use that on a camera tripod at similar focal lengths.

Nothing to worry about there, It's a very good first attempt.

Tricky getting lunar exposures right, especially as the illumination increases with the phase. You did good here though.:)

Ron.

Thanks for the comments.

I wanted to get a higher shutter speed as I was worried about a lower speed causing blurring, which is why I used a high ISO, but I'll give it another go with a nice low ISO.

I got the T-Ring (got my terminology mixed up on the first post!) from Harrison Telescopes. I believe you only need the T-Adaptor if your telescope isn't threaded to accept the camera, luckily mine is.

Great to see such a good lunar imaging community. Nice first go at the moon, I especially like your straight terminator :) Make sure to use a remote or timer when lowering the ISO for cleaner shots

Archived