SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good dark(ish) sites in south wales.

jana

Looking for some good dark sights ( darker than the back garden at least ) in the south wales area. I know brecon is meant to be good but wondering if anyone else has any others in cardiff/barry/valleys areas?

been looking on google maps but nothing seems to jump out, trees around by looks of it.

any help appreciated.

Marc.

Hi There,

We go to South Wales at least once a year and stay near Newcastle Emlyn. Skies are reasonably dark all round, but especially towards the Preseli Hills (couple of good car parks to use.) If you want a sea horizon and really dark try Marloes, especially as after 3pm the car park attendant leaves :).

Far end of Gower is pretty good for SSW views... You do get a bit of glow from the costal towns of North Devon towards the SE...

Southerly views from the Brecon Beacons can be diassapointing if there is any moisture at all in the air with glow from the "Valleys" and the "Costal strip" this is all from an imaging point of view...

Peter...

Hi Jana

This looks like a reasonable area. The Farmer there is really friendly and I have permision to use the area indicated. I have not been up there in the dark yet, but will be arranging a Star party there at the end of August for the Valley Group. You do get glow from cardiff newwport and M4 but it is a good 10 miles away

51.646106,-3.160935 Paste this into Google Maps and it will show the location

Pat

I do tend to get a bit lost when i look up from Rhossili... my fav location is the cliff top overlooking wormshead but its a bit of a trek from the carpark and you have to be very careful clifftop/edge obseving whe its dark...

A lazy South Gower site if Pennard/Southgate carpark but there are a arrange of other "nocturnal" activities that sometimes take place there and the dead end lane is a fav of the Cruising Boy Racer Brigade...

Unfortunately My Car attracts the attention of the "old bill" (they are great once they see the scopes and I have had a chat with them) and the BR's Who I try to avoid like the plague..

Oh and Southgate has new LED lighting installed so OK for imaging but a bit bright for visual..

Peter...

Archived