Narrowband

Home made Dobsonian Base.

Moonshane

• 8 years later...

Just though I would drag this thread from the depths and say what an enjoyable read it is. Great job you have done there Moonshane on the base. You have got me thinking. I like to take my 200P out in one lift most of the time. I wonder if i can look to cut out any un-required wood out of the side panels of the mount to reduce weight without compromising it?!

Baz

• 3 months later...
On 26/03/2020 at 10:31, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Just though I would drag this thread from the depths and say what an enjoyable read it is. Great job you have done there Moonshane on the base. You have got me thinking. I like to take my 200P out in one lift most of the time. I wonder if i can look to cut out any un-required wood out of the side panels of the mount to reduce weight without compromising it?!

Baz

hi Baz

Sorry, been off SGL for a bit. One option (if brave) is to router some circular sections, and cut the side panels of the dob mount, and fix the circular sections to either side of the mount with a radiused block to act as a rocker box. It would then be carried in two sections.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,nice mount very tidy.

I can also say that using a LP on the rocker base works really well I went with this when I built my dob for my Tasco 16T my mount was only a "mock up" just to see if I had the dimensions correct! The Tasco 16T a rare beast now lives in Italy as I made a mistake and sold it!🤨

I love working in wood I'm really thinking about making a dob from scratch everything apart from the mirror and hardware ala "Richard Berry" style from his book.

Clear skies all.

Ash.

16T.jpg