Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stinking weather

tom33pr

I'm sorry to be moaning and posting yet another thread on cra_p weather... but it's been so bad in Northern Ireland that we haven't gone out observing for over 5 weeks now...

What's it like elsewhere? :)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had some clear nights last week here in South Wales. The nights are so short now and not fully dark. As it takes me ages to set up all the gear, I won't be doing any serious imaging until the end of July / beginning of August.

Same here in Worcestershire, no serious viewing for ages. My last imaging session was 11th April

Go a few mins every now and again between breaks in cloud but not worth the effort for imaging.

The days are so long now but only 2 left before the darkness starts to roll back in.

Well, even here this week has been a scrapper. The whole of France is under the murk. We had a couple of good ones last week and prior to that it has been great but, boy, this week is quite something.

I don't think it is the camera buyers though. Some of the local English folks here organize an international paragliding competition each year and invariably they get lousy weather for it so that's the problem. They need to organise it only in full moon weeks. I'll have a word.

Olly

The weather has been pretty awful here, but I'm somehow torn between liking the rain during the day. :eek::):(

The reason being, because I don't have to water the lawn or plants, but dislike the clouds and poor weather during the evening when I could be observing. It looks like it won't clear up this weekend either? Oh well, there's always Stellarium!

Sussex coast has been pretty poor, heavy cloud cover (although not overcast) but its the wind thats the real problem. It must be sods law, had fantastic skies for weeks in April which is when I decided to get into this hobby and bought a scope. As soon as I bought it the weather turned and has not been as good since

The weather has been less than helpful here, too. I bought a new eyepiece a month ago and haven't had the opportunity to use it yet! Who said patience was a virtue?

I know that feeling very well. When I first got my scope, the weather was awful for about 3 weeks, when I finally got to view through it though it made up for all the days waiting for clear skies..

C'est la vie astronomy!

I live in Alabama in the US and the weather has been clear, rather it has been free of clouds for a few weeks, but it's so hot with highs in the upper 90s F and hazy. The sky has taken a more whitish hazy hue than a blue look. The humidity is through the roof so I'm having some condensation problems. All in all it's kinda cruddy. I have learned some valuable lessons is dew and condensation control though. In about 5 minutes the dew turned me from a budding astronomer to a babbling idiot, at a family reunion to showcase my skills, saying "I don't know what's wrong".

I'm in the south east, we've had some good skies but the wind has been quite strong, last time I was out with my scopes one of them nearly fell over because of the wind. :))

mr wet and murky that owns all the wet and murky things in wet and murky land......well ayrshire anyway ! did see the moon last night for about 3 seconds before it vanished behind some serious nearious thunder clouds !

Tell me about it, you should try living in Glasgow.

Bought the goto upgrade about four weeks ago and I've managed to get out with it only once.

There's only so much you can do in your living room, plus the wife is rolling her eyes at me.

:)

Look on the bright side. For the last 3 months I've not been able to even use my telescope as I'm recovering from a spinal operation. There were more than a few clear nights in that time which I couldn't take advantage of. The good news is that I'm improving and I know the stars are still up there...

....behind all that cloud :)

Hope you recover within the next few hours twotter it's going to be clear tonight! :icon_eek:

edit: Never mind...BBC hasn't been updated, but metoffice has slightly annoying... :)

Look on the bright side. For the last 3 months I've not been able to even use my telescope as I'm recovering from a spinal operation. :)

Good luck on the recovery twotter, I know it can be very painful and recovery can take months/years as I am recovering from getting cauda equina last September. If your taking meds then I hope you get off them soon and start getting back to living life to the full as some meds are a ****** to get off.

2 days?? When's the Solstice in Worcs.? - lol - know what you mean though, been out twice in last 3 weeks

Sorry 2 weeks I meant though I wish it was getting darker and less cloudy and current forceast is for rain and clouds to beginning of next week

Cheers folks. I'm here in Cambridgeshire whilst a chunk of my spine (coccyx) is probably sitting in a glass jar in Nottingham. I would post a picture of my scar, but you really don't want to see that :)

Archived