Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

chemtom24

1st two widefield attempts

gt mne first two proper attempts at widefield at last. was finding focussing a major problem in previous non-aligned/motor tracked attempts, but somehow pulled it off otnight i think :(

both images have around 11 minutes worth of exposure, ranging from 1 minute to 2 1/2, all at 1600 iso. F number ranging between 8 and 15. I really dont know how to use these settings properly, i just have a basic idea of what they do so i was experimenting.

taken with 400d 18-55mm kit lens and stacked in deep sky stacker.

again no idea what im doing in sky stacker with all the settings, but found a quick easy tutorial to get a basic image out of it.

this was taken from centre of reading uni campus and LP is a real problem round here, so i cannot wait to get home and try it out in darker skies! :)

post-25906-133877614771_thumb.jpg

post-25906-133877614779_thumb.jpg

crikey they are worse than i thought lol. i think i made them a little too dark in dss. am just going over em again, hopefulyl get some lighter ones!

Not bad at all for your first attempts. It is always good when you can recognize what has been imaged. The second is clearly Cassiopeia. And the first, I think, is Perseus, with Mirphak being the bright star near the top? Darker skies, as always, will make things better, but a great start.

thanks demonperformer :(

the first one has vega at the top, altair on the right, and the left hand side contains part of cygnus. to be honest i chose it because looking at stellarium i saw that the milky way runs/ran through this area and the triangle the stars form was easy to pick out when i was outside. tho i have just looked for perseus on stellarium, and its right next to cassiopea and looks similar so i can see why you thought what you did.

second, of course, is cassiopea! :) somethign about this constellation i like.

as a sort of nb - i have just become an uncle again to a baby girl called cassie - this might osund soft lol, but if i can get a better image of cassiopea - will the images be good enough to print? this is more of a technical question abotu the camera rather than whether the image is 'any good' from a personal pov. thinking a4 size, framed, as a present?

thanks

tom

Yes, of course, once you tell me it is obviously the 'summer triangle'.

Nice idea for your niece. Not really up on printing images, but I would see no reason why not. Lots more subs, from a darker site, keep the exposure details the same for them all and some people say it is better to use a slower ISO setting to keep the noise down (not sure I've noticed!). Looking at your results and description, I would be inclined to try 90 second subs at ISO 800 f/4 (or f/5.6). Allow a 30 second cool-down between them (so 1 every 2 minutes). Get 100 light subs. Also add 20 darks (lens cap on and expose before and/or after the light subs). I tend to take 10 before and 10 after to get the average temperature as close as possible - but that may be a little OTT.

At one every 2 mins, 100 lights + 20 darks will take you about a 2 hour session, and should give you a really nice result (not that I'm any great expert!).

HTH

crikey 100 lights!! ok, will def need to invest in a fold up chair :). is there anyway i can use my laptop to control the shutter, ie connect everything, set it to take 90s exposure every 2 min, then come back 2 hours later? or do i have to be beside it clicking the remote every other minute and checking the exposure time.

Edited by chemtom24

Canon EOS Utilities (on CD that came with the camera?) or check out post #2 in http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-tips-tricks-techniques/143830-looking-camera-operating-software.html - several links to other options.

My maths, of course, is way out. 100 subs at 2 mins would be 4 hours. So go for 40-50 lights, which will be just over 2 hours (with 20 darks).

More subs = less noise = better result.

thanks very much demon, youre an angel, er i mean devil, er....

camera was 2nd hand and didnt get d with it. however i suspect il be able to download it somehow :)

thanks for your help

tom

Tom,

I'll see if i can source EOS Utilities for you. Do you mind me asking which type of remote do you have? Is it a simple shutter on/off or is it one of the timer remotes where you can setup a series of exposures and then walk away?

Great start to the imaging. Nice pinpoint stars and good tracking.

Edited by russ

thanks russ. if you find anythign tho, please remember im moving in a week so address will change! it is this one IR Remote Control fr Canon RC-1 EOS 300D 350D 400D 450D | eBay UK

no instructions came with it - i use the 's' button in the top section to take a pic. in bulb mode this opens the shutter, and i press again to close.

also i have one issue i cnt work out - in dss, if i dont change any levels of anything, the stacked images looked very bright (i actually quite like it) - but when i save it they turn out dark like the ones above. whjy? second, even wheni have played with the levels and save it, the image STILL turns out the same colour etc as the ones above!

V annoying, any idea whats going wrong? Ive got 2 pics to compare here - one is a screenshot of the stacked images in dss, which i had played with the levels until i got a black sky. the 2nd image is this image saved as a tiff on my desktop - why do they look so different!!????

post-25906-133877614953_thumb.jpg

post-25906-133877614959_thumb.jpg

Hi. Isn't it good to get your first shots. Did a similar thing some months ago. Try a SW LP filter, they're cheap and effective - no pollution on the image.

For timing the camera I use a Hahnel Giga T Pro wireless remote control. Receiver sits in the hotshoe and cabled into the camera and the transmitter, wherever you want it. Set it up and walk away. Then do the darks and maybe bias frames.

Well done. Look forward to seeing more.

One thing I forgot to mention is the Canon Mains driven PSU for the EOS. With mirror lock up, extensive shutter times of minutes++, multiple shots, the internal battery just ain't up to it. Mine is the ACK-DC20. Good investment. With that and a timer as described by Russ or the Hahnel, you really can just go back indoors for coffee - maybe even go to bed if the weather forecast is good.

Good luck

Wow, excellent stuff, especially for a first attempt. It made me realise that the screen on my pc was rather dusty though - there were far to many tiny spots on the picture, time to remove the coffee and crumbs from the monitor if I am going to continue looking at pictures on this site!

Wow, excellent stuff, especially for a first attempt. It made me realise that the screen on my pc was rather dusty though - there were far to many tiny spots on the picture, time to remove the coffee and crumbs from the monitor if I am going to continue looking at pictures on this site!

Funny you should say that but i had to clean my monitor too. Couldn't workout what were stars and what was dust. Made identifying the constellations very tricky. :)

Is EOS utils not on the canon website, and controllable through the USB port ie just need a longish usb lead?

Tom, the DSS question maybe worth a new topic in the 'Imaging Discussion' board. I'm hopeless with DSS, could never get on with it.