SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

just bought these.....any good?

M3 Andy

Hi,

From what I've read, Meade 4000 Plossls are decent eyepieces, however I feel you may have over payed a little. Not to worry though, they'll perform very well in your telescope, as it has a high f/ratio, and therefore isn't very demanding on eyepieces.

A handy set you bought there.

Clear Skies

If you use all the components, I think it's a reasonable deal. I can't see you using the 2x barlow often but even if you think of it as 6 decent plossls for an average of £27 each plus a nice free case it's not bad :)

The shorter focal length ones (ie: 9.7mm and 6.4mm) will give you as much power as your scope can use on the planets and the views should be nice under good seeing conditions.

I think you've got a nice range of EPs there, though perhaps a 26mm would be handy to have too? I've got two of the EPs in your set, the 15mm & 6.4mm. They're nice plossls, though I do prefer the GSO Revelations, and that set will do you proud :)

cool. i think this will be the hobby for me. will have 1-2 years with what iv got and then go for the big boy stuff. also waiting on (turn left at orion) book which i bought off amazon.

Loving this!

Slightly baffled by the "OK to get you going..." vibe of some of these posts.

You won't find anything off-the-shelf that will significantly surpass the optical performance of these eyepieces when using a telescope such as yours. Just add a second hand Meade 24mm SWA for some occasional wide-field luxury, and you're set for life :)

(or until you buy a big dob... :( )

Enjoy them!

Slightly baffled by the "OK to get you going..." vibe of some of these posts.

You won't find anything off-the-shelf that will significantly surpass the optical performance of these eyepieces when using a telescope such as yours. Just add a second hand Meade 24mm SWA for some occasional wide-field luxury, and you're set for life :)

(or until you buy a big dob... :( )

Enjoy them!

Arrr ok mate thanks. That's put a smile on my face.

• 2 weeks later...

M3 Andy....

The Meade 4000 series EPs are very good (I use them), you have a great setup there with your scope/EPs/filters.

The price you have paid is very reasonable so do not worry about that, you would have to pay more than twice what you have paid to buy each item individually.

That set will last you a lifetime, as great_bear says...... Enjoy them!

Nuff said.

Archived