SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

MEAD ETX 70 ANY GOOD??

Before I go and make another gigantic mistake I will do it right and get some informed opinions from those who know.

What is this ETX70 like.

Is it ok for photos using the stc900 webcam.

I look forward to your response.

thank you

graham

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has a focal length of 350mm according to what i have found on net , an spc900nc is approx equivalent to 6mm eyepiece so would have a magnification of just under 60x with the spc900nc in. This would be ok for moon and sun(with baader filter) but planets would be small.

I have the ETX 90 and it has a focal lenght of 1250mm (200x mag with SPC900nc) and this is the largest i can get of Saturn for e.g without Barlow lens. Then you have focusing issues if magnifcation is too high for aperture.

5707172106_61e61ef977.jpg

IMO you would be better waiting until you can afford something wth a large appeture.

It will not be long before appeture fever sets in and you will want bigger.

Meade optics are good but I would be looking for something in the 130mm range as a starter scope this is a populer starter scope First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO.

I had one for a long time and sold it just after Christmas. It is a good scope for someone who wants portability with goto function and who wants to give the kids something to play with while the real work goes on with a bigger scope. I tried imaging through mine and as the posters above suggest, it is pretty hopeless.

The ETX range of telescope are excellent scopes, if your looking at planetary imaging, like DarkSky71 said, your better off with the ETX90 or even the 125, however there not cheap from new, i would certainly consider looking at the Skywatch SkyMax 127 as well, they are alot cheaper.

Ok I will give that a miss.

Mind you darkskys image of saturn is a hell of a lot better than I can even see it through my mistake.

There is an 8 inch skywatcher on ebay not to many miles from me.

Any thoughts?

thanks

graham

Just make sure you compare prices to new before bidding and don't trust any seller who says they don't know anything about the scope - it usually means they know there's something up with it and they need an excuse to not have realised.

Ok I will give that a miss.

Mind you darkskys image of saturn is a hell of a lot better than I can even see it through my mistake.

There is an 8 inch skywatcher on ebay not to many miles from me.

Any thoughts?

thanks

graham

Is that the Leicestershire one with 9 days to go? Looks good nick but they've not shown a pic of the mirrors - try asking if they can get you one. Remember to price up the extras when working out your bidding price (motors, polar scope & EP case).

Also... try and take someone along who knows there stuff when collecting.

Just make sure you compare prices to new before bidding and don't trust any seller who says they don't know anything about the scope - it usually means they know there's something up with it and they need an excuse to not have realised.

how very cynical of you :) but probably true i owned an etx125 and while the technology is excellent i agree you can get more wow for your money especially if you are buying new.

if i was buying i would take the sgl 2nd hand market route,some real nice stuff,well looked after on here.

Sky Watcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO in the bargain zone for £315 at scope n skies is around half the price of a new etx125,what ever you decide don't rush,especially with the light nights here at the moment there is no need

where do i find this 2nd hand market on here??

You need to have 50+ posts and to be a member for 1 month to access it.

The Skywatcher newtonian on e.bay looks good but the aluminum legs on the tripod will need to be upgraded to steel or wood to keep vibrations to a limit. I bought one just like that a couple of years ago and paid £200 for it, as a guide price.

hi there

no idear of model number ect but i will put a link here.

Be obliged if you would take a look and tell me what you think.

Sky-Watcher 8inch 200mm Reflector Telescope on eBay (end time 09-Jun-11 14:13:08 BST)

thank you

Thought it was that one, what you need to consider is the Focal lengths, the Newtonian is an F5, where as the ETX90 is F13.8, and the Skymax is F11.8, the latter 2 are good for planetary viewing/imaging, the Newtonian is better for deep sky viewing/imaging, you can however use a x2 or x3 barlow to view/image the planets, with regards to optic's, it's a trade of with the ETX and SkyMax quality, v the aperture of a Newtonian 8" against the 3.5 ins ETX90 and 5in of the ETX125 and Skymax.

To be honest i don't know, i think someone on here will have one so be able to answer that question, John might know, he said in his thread above he got one a couple of years ago.

Archived