Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova SN 2011dh in Messier 51

John

While the period of actual darkness is short, transparency tonight seemed excellent so I thought I'd have a go at spotting the latest supernova, SN 2011dh, which is located in the well known galaxy M51 in Ursa Major.

I used my Orion Optics 10" F/4.8 newtonian and alternated between my 13mm (92x) and 8mm (150x) Ethos eyepieces. With all the house lights off and after allowing a decent period for my eyes to dark adapt, I located M51 and spent some time observing the galaxy and picking out faint stars in it's immediate vicinity.

The position of SN 2011dh is well documented now and, by careful checking of the relative positions of the galactic cores of M51 and its close neighbour, NGC5195 and nearby 13th magnitude stars, I was able to clearly pick out the supernova which was tonight, by my estimation, shining at about magnitude 13.6.

The higher magnification provided by the 8mm eyepiece made it slightly easier to pick out the supernova but it was clearly seen with the 13mm as well. At times averted vision helped but there were also periods when I could see this object directly.

I'm very pleased with this observation as it's my 3rd visual supernova sighting and my 2nd this year :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's excellent John. It does take some careful checking to make sure you have it. It was only my first confirmed SN i've seen...after almost 30 years of observing.

.....It does take some careful checking to make sure you have it. It was only my first confirmed SN i've seen...after almost 30 years of observing.

Yes, it took me years and some help from a tall scotsman (Andrew*) at the SGL4 star party, before I saw my 1st :(

They are not spectacular in themselves at all, until you think about the event you are evesdroping on, how far away it is and how long ago it happened :)

That's brilliant John!

I would dearly love to see this, it would be my first ever SN. Unfortunately, the LP in my garden makes M51 barely distinguishable...just a faint fuzz!:)

I'll keep trying though...and for now, I'll keep enjoying the fantastic pictures posted by the wonderful photographers here on the forum.

vicky.

....I would dearly love to see this, it would be my first ever SN. Unfortunately, the LP in my garden makes M51 barely distinguishable...just a faint fuzz!:)

I'll keep trying though...and for now, I'll keep enjoying the fantastic pictures posted by the wonderful photographers here on the forum.

vicky.

I'd give it a go anyway Vicky. M51 was not that well defined for me last night but the SN is a point source, albeit a faint one, so it is worth a shot.

unfortunately, I currently only have my 6" newt and therefore I presume it's impossible with this unless I go to a dark site? and even then.....

I can see the cores of both M51 and the associated NGC galaxy though so maybe there's a chance.

I'd give it a go anyway Vicky. M51 was not that well defined for me last night but the SN is a point source, albeit a faint one, so it is worth a shot.

Oh...I'll definately keep trying!!:eek:

(But not for the next three nights....night shifts :), but then.. a whole week's holiday to try and view it!!!:()

I saw it last night - I'm suprised how quickly it has brightened! From what I could see, it was about 13.6/13.7 (as of 00:30 on the 7th July), and even though the skies were quite hazy and light, the SN was easily seen with averted vision. I'll go out again and finish the drawing I started. My third SN this year! :)

I saw it last night - I'm suprised how quickly it has brightened! From what I could see, it was about 13.6/13.7 (as of 00:30 on the 7th July), and even though the skies were quite hazy and light, the SN was easily seen with averted vision. I'll go out again and finish the drawing I started. My third SN this year! :)

Congrats!!

Well done John!!! I gave it a go the other night albeit with my 8" and could only pick out two stars in M51. I have managed better magnitudes than this before so I think the usual light pollution coupled with the light summer night sky robbed me of this opportunity to be fair. Is there anyway of identifying the mags of the stars in M51 as I would be interested to identify which stars I did see. I tried stellarium but it just shows a pic.

Well done George :(

I was observing at the same time as you and our brightness estimates tally pretty well, which is reassuring.

Looking forward to seeing your drawing.

I tried again last night, from home this time. But no show. Combination of a bright moon and slightly poor transparency. May have just stood a chance last week from home when we had an especially good night.

Tried and succeeded in my brothers 8"F6 dob.

Only noted when the scope tube was taped. It appeared fleetingly as the scope settled. VERY dim.

But excellent to see.

Eddie n Wayne H

So there is hope for my C8. Yesterday the sky was too hazy, maybe today will be better.

Congrats on getting it!

Tried and succeeded in my brothers 8"F6 dob.

Only noted when the scope tube was taped. It appeared fleetingly as the scope settled. VERY dim.

But excellent to see.

Eddie n Wayne H

Congrats on seeing it. That's great going with the 8".

I just got it! Using the C8 with my new Nagler 17T4, I spotted a faint star at just the right angle and distance with respect to the two galactic cores. Some first light for a new EP!

:)

Well done Michael :icon_eek:

Were you able to estimate it's magnitude ? - there is a conveniently located mag 13.4 star close to the SN (in line of sight terms) and just outside the galactic haze.

Well done Michael :icon_eek:

Were you able to estimate it's magnitude ? - there is a conveniently located mag 13.4 star close to the SN (in line of sight terms) and just outside the galactic haze.

I now the star you mean (it was what confirmed the position for me). I estimate the SN is brighter, and now 13.0 or thereabouts. I have a slightly more elaborate description here

I am still excited :)

I now the star you mean (it was what confirmed the position for me). I estimate the SN is brighter, and now 13.0 or thereabouts. I have a slightly more elaborate description here

I am still excited :)

Thanks Michael - sounds like it's still brightening then - it was definately a bit fainter than that mag 13.4 star when I picked it up on 7/6 - hopefully the clouds will allow another shot at it tonight :rolleyes:

I agree about the excitement factor - it's difficult to describe to a non-astronomer how a tiny, indistinct pinprick of light can provide such a thrill, but it does :icon_eek:

Archived