SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clapham Common

Dick

Hiya! I was thinking of doing some observing on Clapham Common in London when I eventually get a telescope as it seems like a suitable dark site. Does anyone have any experience of observing the heavens from there?

Its to many years ago to remember what Clapham Common was like and of course the street lighting is now much improved since I lived in the outskirts of the big city, but there is a recently formed London based Astronomical group The Baker Street Irregulars who set up in Hyde Park, even Sir PM was surprised at what is visible from the heart of London, when they recently did a program from there :)

I lived at Clapham Commen for 13 years( 2-15) at the Notre dame Estate.

So been along time since I was in that part of the woods.

IMO it would not be the best place to go observing as the area is well known for a certain level of behaviour between consenting Males. Never know what might happen while you are bending over your Scope :)

I've not used Clapham common, but I have used Richmond Park which is fairly close. Clapham common won't be a "dark site" by any stretch, though it will give you some benefit from being away from immediate street-lighting. The other advantage is that you'll have a relatively unobstructed view of the sky. At the end of the day you'll still be surrounded by the urban light pollution of London, but it is surprising what you can see with perseverence.

it would not be the best place to go observing as the area is well known for a certain level of behaviour between consenting Males. Never know what might happen while you are bending over your Scope :(

oOo I know exactly what you mean valleyman

:)

I'll probably look to Hamstead Heath instead :eek:

used to live nearby, really not best place for couple reasons (light pollution,drunk people etc) richmond park would be better as mentioned above. not being pesimistic, but wouldnt recommend. The only benefit would be a nearby kebab shop!

Observing would be best kept to darker site with less 'people' traffic

Archived