Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7023 Iris Nebula from the city

jsigone

Here's my attempt at this tough target. I need another full night or two on this and also try for longer subs. I don't think 5min is enough w/ my skies. Think I might have stretched this a bit much, wanting more but not having enough data to do so:(

Hardware:

Scientific Explorer 152mm Mak-Newt F4.8

Celestron ASGT5 mount

Canon XS (self mod) with Astronomiks CLS-CCD clip in

50mm Autoguider/SSAG

Settings:

3h45min of data

ISO 1600, 45 x 5min lights, 18 darks& 50 flats

Software:

Nebulosity 2, CS4, Fitworks

Thanks for looking

5802589811_26bbcf337d_z.jpg

NGC 7023 Iris Nebula 45x5min rework by jsigone, on Flickr

This is a beautiful image of a very tricky image to both capture and process - Excellent job!

I have a huge soft spot for this nebula - I started trying to get it a few weeks ago and had a couple of nights on it, but then the increased temperature started playing merry hell with my 40D and I started getting a lot of noise (banding)... I managed 5 hours 45 mins on it, but then sadly had to give up (defeated by the banding - Stargazers Lounge - AndyUK's Album: MN190 & Canon 40D - Picture

(These Mak-Newts are beautiful pieces of kit though :))

That's darned impressive. Like all dusty nebulae this needs time. I'm nowhere near there yet with 6 hours in an OSC from a dark, elevated site. If you can get longer subs without the LP getting you then I would because the dusty outlying regions do respond to that.

Olly

This is a beautiful image of a very tricky image to both capture and process - Excellent job!

I have a huge soft spot for this nebula - I started trying to get it a few weeks ago and had a couple of nights on it, but then the increased temperature started playing merry hell with my 40D and I started getting a lot of noise (banding)... I managed 5 hours 45 mins on it, but then sadly had to give up (defeated by the banding - Stargazers Lounge - AndyUK's Album: MN190 & Canon 40D - Picture

(These Mak-Newts are beautiful pieces of kit though :))

Nice image you have Andy, that extra FL of the MN190 gets you right in on the core for great resolution. I do have a secret trick up my sleeve on that temp change stuff:evil6:

packed with those hard reusable ice packs. For the 5hrs (including darks) I put on this, the CCD temps stays 55-59*C according to Dark Library

5767135342_b63288e72b_m.jpg

Camera cooler_03 by jsigone, on Flickr

5767134620_8c730d25cd_m.jpg

Camera cooler_01 by jsigone, on Flickr

That looks really nifty and it obviously works very well.... It looks like you have 4 freezer blocks in there, and the camera then "sits" on a pad of silver foil (or is that a gel pack?).

I've seen some similar photo's from some imagers in Oz who use modded 4 tin peltier-cooled fridges and hang them off the back of their focusers - As I can't spell DIY, that's WAY above my skill level, but what you have looks like a very simple solution. One question though - How much does that "loaded" chill bag weigh?

I just started doing this as I was tackling dark matching issues. The Lagoon I posted was the first crack at this $13 cooler box. Before the temps off the CCD would range 20-30*F throughout the night. Now they range only 3-4*F

yup some freezer blocks, just some folded tin foil to close the gap. I have it mounted vertically so I can access the battery door w/o to much problem during mid session.

Okay... I must admit I've never seen one of the "BIG" imaging rigs in the flesh, but that's not quite as heavy as I was expecting... I guess I'm going to have to look around for a suitably-sized chiller bag. The 314L+ has a great FOV for me in getting in deep with a 1000mm FL, but being able to get the wider FOV of an APS-C chip without having to splash out at least another £1000 (even though not hitting the sort of temps the CDD chips reach) is very attractive, and will make life a lot easier if/when I get the rig "on the road".

Thanks!

Archived