Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

astroimpulse

Teleskop Service - TS 80/480 - First impression...not impressed!

This is mindbendingly awful. It is scarcely credible, though, of course, I do believe you. Paint on the inside of the lens? What?? Loose parts, a dent... on a replacement scope personally inspected.

I quite understand that you want to get on with enjoying it and I'd be just like you but it is very important that this be put in the public domain. Very good on you.

Equally, I would say that I have had extremely good service from TS, particularly with respect to small, low cost items that many retailers don't bother to list. They are very good indeed at carrying a vast range of essential bits and bobs and they do know how to advise you on what goes with what.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Hello Sy, I sympathise, I got an Astro Professional ED80 from TS, when I got it the focuser was marked along the whole length of travel where the bearings meet the focuser tub, it looked 20 years old! It also had the same problem of a "dirty " focus knob! They asked me to return the focuser unit, which I did and they refunded the postage, when I got the replacement they had sent a whole new scope! I got them to pick up the spare tube UPS! Still with a dirty focus knob but reasonably happy - what can you do, keep going back and forth? I think it's a shame that so many scopes are sold that don't meet the customers expectations, all they have to do is look like the pictures and perform like the blurb. This is especialy important given the critical application we put these to!

Curiouser and curiouser. My TS80/480 was absolutely flawless in fit and finish, optics also perfect and spotlessly clean and the focuser was just right as well. However I bought mine last year, so have TS gotten so busy that they're not checking / adjusting the scopes properly before shipping?

The same optics are available in the

Orion ED80T CF Apochromatic Refractor

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-ed80t-cf-apochromatic-refractor-telescope.htm?term=triplet

Anyway I'm not getting rid of mine, it''s a perfect little scope. :)

John

Curiouser and curiouser. My TS80/480 was absolutely flawless in fit and finish, optics also perfect and spotlessly clean and the focuser was just right as well. However I bought mine last year, so have TS gotten so busy that they're not checking / adjusting the scopes properly before shipping?

The same optics are available in the

Orion ED80T CF Apochromatic Refractor

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-ed80t-cf-apochromatic-refractor-telescope.htm?term=triplet

Anyway I'm not getting rid of mine, it''s a perfect little scope. :)

John

I remember your review and it has been pointed out to me that with a 0.8 reducer I would have a parallel scope to mount alongside my FSQ85 so I am still interested but a little disturbed.

Olly

I remember your review and it has been pointed out to me that with a 0.8 reducer I would have a parallel scope to mount alongside my FSQ85 so I am still interested but a little disturbed.

Olly

Well it looks like the Orion version in the carbon fibre tube might be the way to go if TS is having problems at the moment. :)

John

Exactly what I wanted john. After reading yours and other's reviews I was expecting it. Then the replacement I was 100% confident it would be spotless.

It's not on that I have to dismantle the objective lens from the tube just to get it clean when it's brand new.

Depressed to be honest.

TS were apologetic in the end but never offered a solution when the 2nd turned up a mess beyond 'take it apart and sort it' so to speak.

I say again, Send it back & get a Refund !

Nadeem.

To be honest I was so depressed with the second one I had nothing left as far as complaining was concerned.

I would have gotten a refund in the first place but it takes so long for them to do so it's annoying.

I'm going to open a PayPal dispute and see if I can get a quick refund.

They should have offered far more than the advice they gave. They should have made sure the end result was a perfect scope in the customers hands. Remember, this was their checked one.

:*(

As just about every scpoe of any quality has to be imported to Australia I have adopted one simple procedure:

I ask the salesperson at the other end to check it out first and scribble their name on a bit of paper that it's OK.

I've yet to have anyone refuse and most like to do their own QC as its a lot less grief than returning it to the OEM.

If its a big ticket item, I ask them to 'test-drive" it. This went down very well with my TOA130! :)

One guy didn't want to take the responsibility, but I told him it was just for insurance and I was only interested in defects. I wasn't asking him to comment on the "quality" of the optic. That was fine by him.

Always worth a try.

Edited by LMC

After they recieved the quadruplet back I got refunded after 3 days onto my card again. Which BTW was through paypal as well. Maybe also you might want to send them this link to the thread.

Nadeem.

Yeh...it's the wait for 2 weeks that put me off from getting a refund the first time.

Would have been done by now :) (2 weeks is time to ship the label, me return it, they get it and refund).

They know this thread exists. A member of staff has PM'd me here plenty times.

I've started a PP dispute ONLY to make sure the ball is rolling (and I don't miss deadlines). It'll probably get their backs up but hey...I've been messed around too long.

I have no doubt they will refund me. They're not a poor retailer from what I can see. They just haven't performed on this occasion.

@LMC...totally. But the replacement was just that. Full checked by a member of staff :)

Looks like Teleskop Services don't even want to communicate and PayPal has told me to ship this back at my cost before any refund will be issued.

Looks like if you buy from these guys you will be provided with sub-standard equipment and be out of pocket come the end. I see many others have had this issue with other scopes.

Expect TS to drag this out as clearly this has been a laugh for them.

I can only echo what has been written before.

When the second scope came in the condition you described then it should be obvious even to the retailer that they messed up.

Dragging out the refund is really just terrible service.

Hope you get your money back soon.

Looks like Teleskop Services don't even want to communicate and PayPal has told me to ship this back at my cost before any refund will be issued.

Looks like if you buy from these guys you will be provided with sub-standard equipment and be out of pocket come the end. I see many others have had this issue with other scopes.

Expect TS to drag this out as clearly this has been a laugh for them.

INADS work this way, although I believe it is contradictory to EU Regulations on Distance Selling.

But Paypal is above the law........

It'll be with them by Thursday and in the same condition it arrived with me. ;)

This is not a return because I don't fancy the scope now (which would mean costs are fair enough)...it's a return because after two attempts they still couldn't deliver a simple little scope in new condition.

Oh well...life goes on :D

It's very unfortunate that you and others have had this kind of service.

However TS are not the only ones who have given a small minority such service.

Other astro retaillers who we all know and love have (unintentionally) given a few people sub standard service in the past, that gets brushed under the carpet and anyone who has a bad word to say about 'them' is wrong apparently.

Personally I have had excellent service from TS both before and after sales; big ish and small orders.

No doubt they're mostly great (hence why they're successful) but that means nothing to me or my experience. And I'm sure SGL would have removed this if they felt it was liable etc. :D

It's over now, though.

Patrick Woitala ignored my emails over the past 2 weeks after his last one advising me to dismantle it (could be a genuine reason).

They ignored the PayPal Dispute.

They ignore the PayPal Claim when escalated.

They ignored it when the scope arrived.

They finally replied saying they had told PayPal the scope had arrived back. This was an outright lie as PayPal had heard nothing.

This untruth was confirmed when I rang PayPal and the guy on the phone was (amazingly) helpful. I uploaded the waybill and he instantly refunded me.

Patrick replied today with a pointless email confirming the refund had gone through :hello2:

Shame it ended up this way because the scope in question would be a quality scope if it had arrived in the condition most others have received it in.

But I think most people can see this is just one man's bad experience and make their own minds up. 2 poor quality scopes in succession doesn't mean everyone would be bad.

Edited by astroimpulse

I think (most) retailers focus on getting a good percentage right rather than trying to achieve perfection. It seems when things aren't right 1st time round they know it's already gone against them and just give up on the case as a lost cause - a real shame.

that would be a real shame and yet another symptom of some businesses not having a clue how to treat people. in this case, if the second scope had actually been checked and was as it should be then the report would have been along the lines of - first scope poor but they treated me well and sorted out the issue straight away with a spot on replacement - highly recommended. they missed an opportunity to show that they can deal with problems and solve them; even more bizarre is that they were aware this was being 'monitored' on a large UK astro forum?

I've always held the view that, what makes a company stand out from the crowd and make them great, is how they deal with problems. That's the real test.

Andy.

I always wonder what suppliers do with returned products, do they return to the manufacturer? just write them off? or just return them to stock and maybe the next customer will not return?

I always wonder what suppliers do with returned products, do they return to the manufacturer? just write them off? or just return them to stock and maybe the next customer will not return?

I suppose all this stuff on flea bay has to come from somewhere.

This is incredible !!.... I for one would never seek to use TS now.... There are many other retailers that appreciate business better than this.

I have used TS on many occassions and this is shock to me doesnt sound like them at all :(

I am sorry to hear of your troubles with TS but am not shocked, I have had the same from them in the last two years on three different purchases. They are in my view a poor outlet that pay no attention to quality control. I received almost the same story as you about 2 years back, and the last straw was taking delievery of a Carbon Fiber 70mm ED scope that was bent. For them to then tell me and the Dealer here in Bulgaria it was meant to be like that was an insult to both of us.I have two of these scopes, one is good (2-3 years ago) the other is rubbish, even after repair it is optical junk.

I will never buy anything from this shower again. I was going to write it up on the what do think of dealers site here but when I read only good thought better of it, clearly it in not only me that gets poor service from them.Their own products are not checked and I am sure that our stories are not the only ones. The only thing that I have had without problem is Televue eyepieces and this company does it's own QA. A good while back, I think Olly posted to me something along the lines of, there is a big difference in quality at the top of the pile and that lower down. How right he is, how right he is.

Alan a very unhappy ex-customer.

I've only bought packaged third party items from them (about 3 times, one of which was over £300) and I never had an issue with them,

Having said that, I was actually seriously considering the TS 80/480 APO before christmas, in the end I came across the Altair 80/480 APO in the UK and went with that, slightly more expensive but can't complain about the product or service from Altair (I believe the TS and the Altair are cousins from the same factory :smiley: ).