Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount a second scope to my Newt

idlelimey

Hi All,

I recently bought 3 Meade RB70 refractors (tubes only) for a hobby project. I want to keep one of them and mount it on to my SW Explorer 200 newt. I've seen pictures of similar setups but I can't discern they method they've used.

I think it involves another dovetail and and some more tube rings on to that.

dome_scopes_2.jpg

(borrowed from Observatory Dome Project - excellent page also)

The idea is to line it up like the finder scope but to use a 25-32mm EP in there for a constant wide view without the need to keep switching EPs in the primary scope.

Has anybody else done this? Any help on what equipment I'd need greatly appreciated.

Best,

Your sig says you are using a EQ5 mount??

Using a SW200P you have reached max weight advised for that mount.........:)

To Piggy back another scope you might have to upgrade to a HEQ5 or EQ6.......

Wayne

Hi Idlelimey - in answer to your question how do others do it - Mine is very much a "Heath Robinson" affair but it works. I've got the 88mm reflector piggybacked on the 8" Newt on a CG5 mount which handles the weight fine. The two are connected by a piece of aluminium rescued from our old conservatory roof - the reflector is bolted to it, and it is bolted to the available threads on the Newt rings - one of which is the camera piggy back screw. Originally I used a piece of wood but that allowed flex - the aluminium has eliminated that. - Cost £0.00 - lack of money is a great source of inventiveness :)

I've attached apicture - not great because it doesn;t show the bracket but it should give you an idea

post-14401-133877614491_thumb.jpg

Your sig says you are using a EQ5 mount??

Using a SW200P you have reached max weight advised for that mount.........:(

To Piggy back another scope you might have to upgrade to a HEQ5 or EQ6.......

Wayne

Thanks for the advice Wayne. Given that the mount appears to be bomb-proof I would never have suspected any problem with extra weight. The RB70 weighs very little, would it really cause a problem for the mount?

Appreciate your insight! :)

Hi Idlelimey - in answer to your question how do others do it - Mine is very much a "Heath Robinson" affair but it works. I've got the 88mm reflector piggybacked on the 8" Newt on a CG5 mount which handles the weight fine. The two are connected by a piece of aluminium rescued from our old conservatory roof - the reflector is bolted to it, and it is bolted to the available threads on the Newt rings - one of which is the camera piggy back screw. Originally I used a piece of wood but that allowed flex - the aluminium has eliminated that. - Cost £0.00 - lack of money is a great source of inventiveness :)

I've attached apicture - not great because it doesn;t show the bracket but it should give you an idea

That could be the coolest thing I've seen. What a rig! There was an ST80 on SnS earlier for ~£75 (OTA only I think). I was very tempted as a portable scope.

UPDATE:

Just finished looking in to Wayne's feedback and my EQ5 can handle 9kg apparently! I'll do a full weight check later on but the information I'm getting is that you shouldn't push it to that limit anyway.

I must admit, I'm stunned - the mount is such a hefty unit I would have thought it take a bus and point it in the right direction :)

Take a look? I'm never off it! :) I'm guessing I'd need adjustable rings (more like finder scope rings, with adjustment screws) than straight up clamps.

However, everything hinges on this weight issue. :(

Thanks pritc! Just finished weighing in - OTA 9.3kg (inc. rings, dovetail, finder). The counter weights are 10.5kg.

Wishful thinking that I could use up to the total counter weight amount I suppose? The Meade RB70 weighs a fraction over 1kg.

Could I damage the mount by loading up with what would amount to 10.5kg on either side?

A shame as all I actually need for this is another dovetail. I've tried and the scope will Meade will mount to the SW using on dovetail. Downside would be no fine adjustment (as per a finder scope).

The sensible solution would be a new mount but I'm tight and not very sensible. :)

Thanks pritc! Just finished weighing in - OTA 9.3kg (inc. rings, dovetail, finder). The counter weights are 10.5kg.

Wishful thinking that I could use up to the total counter weight amount I suppose? The Meade RB70 weighs a fraction over 1kg.

Could I damage the mount by loading up with what would amount to 10.5kg on either side?

A shame as all I actually need for this is another dovetail. I've tried and the scope will Meade will mount to the SW using on dovetail. Downside would be no fine adjustment (as per a finder scope).

The sensible solution would be a new mount but I'm tight and not very sensible. :)

You'll be wanting guidescope rings I guess with the bolts through to adjust scope alignment. The EQ5 mounts are fairly solid - so long as it is well balanced so you don't put too much strain on the gears I wouldn't have thought you'll do too much harm. Keep the legs short to minimise vibration and it may be ok for visual. Are the legs steel or Ali?

I used to have a Meade AR-6 refractor on my CG5 (essentially the same as an EQ5) and except for high magnification, where the motor tick showed up in the view, it was fine. I've just done a google and came up with US weights of 25 and 27lb for it. That's between 11.33kg and 12.25kg (plus diagonal, finder & some weighty EPs) and it had a lot of leverage. You'll have to make your own mind up but I'd be inclined to give it a go (the CG5 did have 2" steel tripod legs which helps with vibration).

The mount legs are steel - at least I'm pretty sure they are. I keep them short, despite me being quite tall I've never needed to extend them any.

I think I'm going to give it a go anyway. If it doesn't work then the dovetail will still come in use later on.

I don't have motor drives on my mount but will pay attention to the ease and smooth motion of the RA etc.

£20 for a dovetail seems a bit steep for a lump of aluminium so I'll keep an eye out on Astroboot.

Archived