SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Carbon make over

russ

I thought i would try my hand at pimping so bits with a bit of fake carbon.

Didn't get off to a good start. I ordered the shiny vinyl version but got the 3D version. If i was a patient man i would have returned it and asked for my original order but i'm not :)

So yesterday afternoon i grabbed our rather tatty looking Astromaster 90 and went to work. If you have a short fuse it maybe best to avoid this little mod. The air bubbles were a nightmare!!!! And i still have some even after an hour of trying to remove them all.

Apologies for the quality of photos, i only had the camera phone to hand:

russ-albums-kit-picture11679-celestron-astromaster-90-fake-carbon-tube.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd probably be okay Paul. It's worth a go if you have a tatty old tube that needs tarting up. I was getting a little fed up with it after a while because of the bubbles. Will take another look at the air bubbles when i'm in a better frame of mind.

Apply it wet (spray the scope and vinyl with slightly soapy water) then you can push the water and bubbles out to the edge with ease and when it all dries off it sticks.:)

Mike.

Apply it wet (spray the scope and vinyl with water) then you can push the water and bubbles out to the edge with ease and when it all dries off it sticks.:(

Mike.

i wish i had known that yesterday.....i should have posted up the question first. That'll teach me for being impatient. :)

blimey, if you had a dog, I bet he'd be looking worried now.........

seriously though, you've done a cracking job mate.

Looking at the car bonnet at the moment.........

but perhaps a carbon bonnet really wouldn't suit a Nissan Note :)

Looking at the car bonnet at the moment.........

but perhaps a carbon bonnet really wouldn't suit a Nissan Note :)

ha ha ha

I did just the same using up the last of my flocking - my finder dew shields and scope dew shields all lined, my mirror clips covered, my pillow flocked.:(

Yep I normally use a single drop to about a pint of water (in old money) A credit card or similar is handy for smoothing out...

I'll remember that for next time. If the Orion doesn't sell, then that will be a prime target. :)

Great job.

You didn't pick easy items either! That's a long tube to tackle and the other with a taper!

Result :)

The taper was a lot easier than that long tube. The water trick would have made things a whole lot easier.

Archived