sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Abell 2218 gravitational arc (H)

paulobao

Hi,

Just to show Abell 2218, a galaxy cluster (made of more than 10 000 glxs), 2 billion light-years away made with my C9.25 @ 1465 mm + QSI532WS-M1. Weather conditions were not the best for this kind of imaging since I wanted to capture 3 of the gravitational arcs. I only captured 1 (barely), the H one at z=0.7. For this kind of imaging one needs a great seeing. This arc is about mag 19 or so.

Please compare to the Hubble photo :).

Clear filter - 17x 10min @ -20ºC.

The 100% crop invert image is made with only the 4 best Fits I got.

Regards,

paulo

post-15362-133877613946_thumb.jpg

post-15362-133877613953_thumb.jpg

post-15362-13387761396_thumb.jpg

outstanding! i thought about doing this but i felt it was too tough a target with my kit......i saw it done by an amateur a few months ago, it was an exceptional piece of imaging.

hats off to you i think a possible candidate for IOW

Fantastic Paulo.

This is so difficult, I've compared it to some other images on the web and I agree you have captured one of the arcs.

Once again well done.

Thanks. Yes is is a tough target since, at my resolution, the arcs are at max, 1 pixel wide only! So it is so importnat a great seeing (and great collimation, focus, guiding, etc) which I could not accomplish that night. But I will be prepared next time :-).

Regards,

paulo

Increadable image.. call for POW from here!

RE:

Wow - 2 billion light years away - mind-boggling! Incredible image!

d

The cluster is 'only' 2 billion light years away, the arc is gravitationally lensed and is an image of an object way beyond the cluster... not sure how far but far enough that billions of light years no longer makes sense, you need to use Z instead.

ps.. another 'amateur' image of the same.. note the kit required though!

Best of AOP: Gravitational Arcs in Abell 2218

to get a C9.25 competing against a 20"RC you are doing something very very right.

Derek