1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

Hi from a newbie

gottans

Thought I would say hi as just starting to look at the stars, well more than the causal look upwards. At the moment just trying to find my way about the skies but getting less confused as I read/see more.

Cheers

Pete

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I am sure I will learn lots, have been reading some of the threads and gradually starting to pick up on things but loads of acronyms...

I have already been told about Stellarium, a really useful tool (and free) so I have managed to find and look at Saturn using binoculars which was both brilliant and frustrating all at the same time as I want a better view.

Looks like a telescope is imminent..

Hi, Pete, and welcome to the forum.

The key to learning the sky is not to try to do it all at once. Using 'the plough' to find Arcturus (Bootes), Spica (Virgo) and Regulus (Leo), then start to 'fill in the gaps' when you have those constellations sorted. Orion (later in the year) is another great 'signpost'.

HTH