Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Noob

Praetorias

Hello all. I live in hertfordshire and have been wanting to get into astrophotography or years. I own a dslr and am trying to make the move into buying my first telescope. I am looking at the C9.25 and am trying to get a better understanding of the topic before I make move.

Looking for star parties in herts area and to understand how pictures are taken and most importantly how to process pictures in photoshop to get those amazing pics i see.

Anywho.... Hi to all :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an awful lot you can do with just a DSLR and no telescope at first, such as widefield and star trails. It helps you practise with the programs you use when you get a telescope (eg Deep Sky Stacker), and helps you make sure you don't start entirely from square 1 when you do telescope+camera imaging! Check out the Imaging section and the Tutorials and Primers for more info.

Hi there Praetorias, welcome to SGL :)

Before making a start with astro-photography I really recommend that you read Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf).

Easy to read, it's full of good advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment - explaining what kit you'll need and, more importantly, why. So helping you avoid poor choices and costly mistakes. There's also loads of tips 'n' tricks as well as lots of other vital stuff.

Have a trawl through the imaging sections too. They're full of info and some very experienced and talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

Hi Praetorias and welcome to SGL, a C9.25 is an excellent imaging scope as many published pictures will testify, but then theres the rest of the equipment to go with it which on its own can be very expensive. Perhaps you may wish to give consideration to a smaller scope like a refractor to which you can attach your camera to gain the necessary experience to get you started on the imaging learning curve :)

Archived