Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some EP advice

i've just got rid of my skymax 127mm and Eq3-2 to fund my purchase of an Ikharos 102 APO and new mount. I'm waiting for them at the moment. The scope is going to to be an imaging and visual scope for the time being and I need to get some EP's.

I want to get an allroundish set I'm going to be on a bit of a budget -looking at revelation EP's and TMB clones etc.

Had been thinking about 6mm , 14mm, 21mm, and then maybe a lower mag wide FOV 2". but i'm not sure quite what the difference will be between the 2" and 1.25"? For example at 32mm would the FOV much different between the two?

What thoughts do people have? WOuld this be a good idea or would anyone consider a good barlow and some different mag's.

ANy help woul be greatly appreciated?

Bearing in mind you want to do imaging I think a "matched reducer" is likely to be the first thing to get for that scope. As the focuser is a 3" you're also going to want an adaptor to take 1.25" and 2" ep's. The 2" ep's tend to be wide field compared to the 1.25" narrower fov's - I use 33mm and 40mm swans for nice wide views of larger dso's. Very nice sope :)

In the 32mm focal length, a 2" eyepiece can show as much as 50% more sky than a 1.25" in the same focal length. That is the principle advantage of 2" format eyepieces.

I have a similar scope, a Vixen ED 102 which is F/6.5. With that scope my 31mm Nagler delivers a true field of view of 3.8 degrees which is enough to take in the whole of the Veil nebula complex :)

If I use my 32mm plossl the max I can get is 2.4 degrees.

Bearing in mind you want to do imaging I think a "matched reducer" is likely to be the first thing to get for that scope. As the focuser is a 3" you're also going to want an adaptor to take 1.25" and 2" ep's. The 2" ep's tend to be wide field compared to the 1.25" narrower fov's - I use 33mm and 40mm swans for nice wide views of larger dso's. Very nice sope :)

Hi Brantuk

The Ikharos comes with a matched field flattener and 0.8x Reducer taking it from F/7 to F/5.6. Also the 1.25" & 2" adapter for the focuser, so don't have to worry about those.

So i guess it is worth getting a 2" low mag EP for good wide FOV. Any thoughts on what size 32mm?

was there any thoughts on the combination of EP's / couple of EP'sand a barlow.

Jahmason

with a similar scope what range of EP's do you use?

Jahmason

with a similar scope what range of EP's do you use?

Bear in mind that these EP's serve 3 scopes :):

31mm Nagler

20mm Nagler

13mm Ethos

8mm Ethos (5mm with 1.6x barlow)

6mm Ethos (3.75mm with 1.6x barlow)

Archived