SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Build begins..part 1, The Pier.

Freff

Yes, good job :D The ground must have been non too solid to get that much dug out in such little time. Mind you two (probably) strong men should do better than one none-too-young woman :) I agree with leaving it a week before you fix the pier on. My plug was a bit smaller but plug and pier (also concrete) used a bit more than expected. I ordered 2 bags of ballast and 12 bags of cement because I wasn't sure if 1 ballast and 6 concrete would be enough and there were other jobs we wanted concrete for. I used more than the 1 ballast etc. for pier base and top plus 6 pads for the building to stand on. It pays to buy more than the estimated quantities.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good progress there Tony. I must admit I too under-estimated the amount of ballast needed, and then went the otherway when I ordered the bags of cement for the walls !

One word of caution, I would let the concrete cure for about a week before placing the pier on it. Whilst the top concrete may appear solid it will probably still be a bit sloppy further down

Yes I'm happy with how things went. No problem with the concrete, 6-1 mix. I have built houses the following day on weaker mixes. In 24hrs you can park a car on it.

The bolts are not tightened up, just finger tight so no upward pull.

Yes, good job :hello2: The ground must have been non too solid to get that much dug out in such little time. Mind you two (probably) strong men should do better than one none-too-young woman :icon_scratch: I agree with leaving it a week before you fix the pier on. My plug was a bit smaller but plug and pier (also concrete) used a bit more than expected. I ordered 2 bags of ballast and 12 bags of cement because I wasn't sure if 1 ballast and 6 concrete would be enough and there were other jobs we wanted concrete for. I used more than the 1 ballast etc. for pier base and top plus 6 pads for the building to stand on. It pays to buy more than the estimated quantities.

The ground was clean of stone, root etc, and is mainly clay so removing it was quite easy from that point of view. I didn't actually do any of the digging, that was down to my kind brother, I just supervised.:)

As I mentioned to Malcolm, there really is no problem with putting some weight on the concrete. The most vulnerable areas are the edges.

Work in the building trade, civil engineering etc would come to a halt if it had to wait a few days let alone week for concrete to set.

Despite the rain today I managed to get all the joist cut to length and the hangers placed ready for fixing. I will clear out any rubbish, cut offs etc tomorrow.

Everything got it's 3rd coating of Creosote just as the rains came, so very lucky there. I will down tools until next week and in the meantime sort out some of the finer details.

I'm unsure about the height of the pier. As it is it stands, to the top of the mount base is 39". To the centre of the EQ6 rings 63". The Sketchup attached is a pretty accurate representation. I think I will set up a roof line on site and test with the mount/scope setup. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have also added in Sketchup a basic small pitched ceiling to the warmroom to get some dimensions. I think it will work, and if it does it will give me some extra headroom.

Over the weekend I'll make a shopping list and hopefully get the bulk of the main build timber ordered next week.

post-19789-133877651739_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877651748_thumb.jpg

revised 2.zip

Looking really good, both the design and reality.

Like I've said before, I'm really looking forward to watching your build progress. It's a shame the weather of late hasn't been kind, but lets hope we'll get an Indian summer so progress can continue

Coming on nicely :) Like your model. I just wonder what the half-moon shaped openings in the window panes are for :rolleyes:

They are ticket openings. The two panes were from the 3D warehouse. I was to lazy to draw my own. :p I wondered who'd notice them first.;)

The six main supports were put in place yesterday after much deliberation regarding the final height of the walls.

Hopefully the main studding (3"x 2") will be on site tomorrow, so with luck the frame to roof level will be up by next week. Each 'panel' will be modular between each of the six posts, so if I ever wanted to get rid of it, it's easily dismantled.

My wife is off work so I have agreed to work on the obsy every other day. :)

I'm still undecided about what method to use regarding the roof tracking/runners. I will probably end up with the simplest method. I need to get a move on though as things quickly move on.

post-19789-133877654893_thumb.jpg

It's good to get something done even if it's just getting a few measurements sorted. I have about 100 mtrs of studding arriving tomorrow. That should sort the walls and roof trusses.

Any news of your B&Q order.

It's good to get something done even if it's just getting a few measurements sorted. I have about 100 mtrs of studding arriving tomorrow. That should sort the walls and roof trusses.
I agree, with bells on! :) I'm itching to get on with mine too.
Any news of your B&Q order.
No nothing from them so I'm going to ring them today to see what's up.

I was at the Otter Garden Centre yesterday. Looked over a few hedges on the way but couldn't see your pier. :) How far are you from there.
You're the wrong side of Honiton there - we're out the other way, other side of Upottery.
Goog luck with B&Q.
Tried phoning the Exeter branch this morning (where the stuff was coming from) but got "unavailable" for the number listed on the B&Q web site. Tried their main order/delivery number and was told their system was down and to try later. So I've sent them an email. I await their reply. Good job I'm not held up for it (yet).

I thought I was on the wrong side of Honiton. :)

It's a bit naughty of B&Q, just as well you're not waiting for the materials.

I went and chose my own studding and collected it myself today. I have seen some of the bendy timber in the past that some of these suppliers try to palm off on you.

I collected 130 mtrs which should do me for the walls and roof. Unfortunately, I picked up 4x 4.2 instead of 4.8 which I'll have to exchange in the morning.

I managed to get the studding for 97p per metre + vat which I thought was reasonable.

post-19789-133877655432_thumb.jpg

Tried phoning the Exeter branch this morning (where the stuff was coming from) but got "unavailable" for the number listed on the B&Q web site. Tried their main order/delivery number and was told their system was down and to try later. So I've sent them an email. I await their reply. Good job I'm not held up for it (yet).

This must be one of these moments when every fibre in your body tells you to take your business elsewhere but you can't because they are by far the cheapest for the item in question....

This must be one of these moments when every fibre in your body tells you to take your business elsewhere but you can't because they are by far the cheapest for the item in question....
Absolutely!!

• 2 weeks later...

The wet weather subsided today so I decided to make some sawdust. It was a late start unfortunately due to other commitments, so it was 4pm by the time I cut my first piece.

It's going to be built in a modular fashion so it will be easy to dismantle if I ever change anything. The first section went into the obsy end and will finish that side in the morning.

The fence end will follow which by then I'll be able to start getting the the corner square. Hopefully will have most of the framing done tomorrow. The weather will be getting better for the rest of the week with the winds subsiding.

post-19789-133877660904_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877660915_thumb.jpg

Nice to see progress :) Good feeling, isn't it? :) The wind was still a bit of a problem here today as were a couple of showers before lunch. But, as you say, the weather is supposed to be getting better so hoping to make more progress. At least I too made some sawdust today :( Rest of the joists, bits for the east obsy wall and 10 floorboards :mad:

Most of the framing finished today, just a few pieces to put in at the door end. I need to think a bit more tonight about the final measurements regarding the window and door.

Hopefully the weather will hold and I can get on with the roof tomorrow.

post-19789-133877661587_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877661597_thumb.jpg

Archived