Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Build begins..part 1, The Pier.

Freff

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welding was one of the skills I picked up as a young man. Fortunately I had an uncle who taught me both Arc and Gas welding. I also learned to lead burn, no call for that today though. I would like to try Tig welding with alumimium and stainless.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there no way you could knock up a square wooden frame then fill it to the top with concrete and fix the pier to the top of that? I take it you plan to dig a hole and fill with concrete anyway so this would just mean it protrudes the ground by a few inches. The Obsy flooring could easily be lay around the concrete block and with the block being raised it would help keep the steel pier clear of any damp. Sorry if my explanation is in anyway confusing.

Just a thought.

SPACEBOY

Hi Spaceboy. Not confusing at all. I really didn't want a step in the concrete, it's just another weak spot and there is only about 9" between the ground level and the bottom of the joists.

It would only take a short time to lengthen the pier if need be. I'll wait until the obsy is build before I consider any changes. The floor wont go in until last so no problem with access.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a lot more done over the past few weeks. It don't look much from the photos, (before and after) but the fence was moved back about 4' with new concrete posts set in concrete. The old greenhouse stub wall was extended by just over 4'6" to give the obsy an internal dimension of 14' x 8' 4".

Next week I'm hoping to have the bear pit dug and the concrete plug poured. A general tidy up and the surrounding pavers levelled and cleaned. Two more air bricks and that should see this level finished.

The rest of the timber for the wall plates and joist should also arrive next week. With a bit of luck the building of the obsy proper should start by the end of the month or before.

post-19789-133877643355_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877643363_thumb.jpg

What's those bright red things in the wall about 2/3 the way down ;) (only kidding :rolleyes: ) - looking good, and the size should give you lots of room for both scope and warm room

Looks like we're in for two interesting build threads in the coming weeks. - Cant wait

Good to see some progress- I've got 2 weeks off soon so I'm hoping to crack on with mine as well.

Good luck with yours. Unfortunately, I have the time but due to spinal injuries I have to rely on my brother for help with the heavy work which up till now has been just that.

What's those bright red things in the wall about 2/3 the way down :rolleyes: (only kidding :hello2: ) - looking good, and the size should give you lots of room for both scope and warm room

Looks like we're in for two interesting build threads in the coming weeks. - Cant wait

I have seen something like them elsewhere, can't put my finger on it.;)

I'm hoping for an 8' obsy and 6' warm room. The other work has to be done before the final dimensions can be worked out.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a bit done today. I had a load of 4"x 4" timber delivered over the weekend. This is the stuff truckers use to separate their steel loads on the flatbeds.

I marked out for the bear pit and arranged the joists for the best positioning. I used 14" centres for the joists because of the 4" thickness, if I could have got 6"> I would have used less.

This worked out fine as the pier will be in the centre of two joists.

I gave them a coat of Creosote with another to follow tomorrow. I'll try and get some 4" joist hangers now I have the size I need.

Just waiting for my brother to dig the bearpit, then I can start the build proper.

post-19789-133877647173_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877647183_thumb.jpg

Hi Malcom, no not yet. The wall plates (timber) are only placed on the stub wall at present for measurements.

I'll Creosote the wall plates first. Then lay down DPC, then a thin bed of mortar then the wall plate.

I'm sure the floor will be fine with these spacings and 4x4 timbers.

I revised the plans slightly today after getting a load of timber. I'm still in two minds regarding the type of roof I want. :)

Here's a Zip file of how far I've got with my thoughts.

Very interesting :( Prompts me to reconsider where I want my doors. I have them in the middle ATM but there wouldn't be room to use a sliding door in the dividing wall.

Personally, I think a pitched roof looks nicer than a pent/flat roof. But in my case, it's down to practicalities. And I've certainly given it a lot of thought :D

Tony, very nice design, similar to the way Alexanders Observatories are built in the way the warm room is always covered by the ROR section. Unlike Alexanders I would suggest that you fit a flat insulated internal roof to maintain the effectiveness of the insulation of the walls etc. I'm also guessing that the rectangle behind the chair will be a window? If so that would let in some welcome natural light, something I miss when working in the Obs in the day doing non observing stuff.

Can't wait to see this build come together.

Very interesting :D Prompts me to reconsider where I want my doors. I have them in the middle ATM but there wouldn't be room to use a sliding door in the dividing wall.

Personally, I think a pitched roof looks nicer than a pent/flat roof. But in my case, it's down to practicalities. And I've certainly given it a lot of thought :)

Hi Gina. I will be using hinged doors rather than sliding. The outer door will be opening out and the inner door will open into the obsy. The outer door will have full length SS piano hinge for security.

One of the reasons I went for a pitched roof was my wife wanted it to look similar to my workshop which is about 5' to the side. I'm still undecided on the design. At present the two supports for the track beams will extend over a 4'6" wall.

I will probably end up using them to form a pergola with trellis on each side, and a bench between them.

Tony, very nice design, similar to the way Alexanders Observatories are built in the way the warm room is always covered by the ROR section. Unlike Alexanders I would suggest that you fit a flat insulated internal roof to maintain the effectiveness of the insulation of the walls etc. I'm also guessing that the rectangle behind the chair will be a window? If so that would let in some welcome natural light, something I miss when working in the Obs in the day doing non observing stuff.

Can't wait to see this build come together.

Hi Malcolm. I will be putting up an internal roof in the warm room. Initially I considered using a plastic type 9" T&G panel the same as I have in our bathroom. It is extremely light and inexpensive. But probably will use 4" T&G pine.

Details like this I have left off my Sketchup, (I'm not very good at it :().

Yes you are right the opening behind the chair is for a window. It will be non opening. It will have a hinged shutter on allowing it to open down. When closed two bolts will go through the wall and secured on the inside.

There will also be a fixed window looking into the obsy.

I had a bit of good news today. My brother phoned to say he would be up in the morning to dig out the bearpit and pour the plug. :)

Looking at my model today and discovered that the static end gable my intrude on my south viewing. I have now included it in Stetchup but unable to get any info regarding angles.

I may have to hinge the gable end, which I don't want to do if I can avoid it.

revised.zip

Yes, very nice modelling :D I'm very gradually getting more proficient in SketchUp but it's a steep learning curve. I haven't found it very intuitive. Very capable software though and being free, very good VFM :)

A big step towards the build yesterday. I managed to get the bearpit dug with the help of my brother.

Dug out a 36³" which went quite easily apart from the periods of rain. We managed to get it dug by lunch time so decided to do the concreting as well.

Nearly 2 tons of aggregate went in before it was full. Luckily I had spare aggregate because I only estimated for 1½ ton.

Next step is to get the joist hangers next week and set in the wall plates and joists.

post-19789-133877648868_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877648877_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877648885_thumb.jpg

post-19789-133877648893_thumb.jpg

Good progress there Tony. I must admit I too under-estimated the amount of ballast needed, and then went the otherway when I ordered the bags of cement for the walls !

One word of caution, I would let the concrete cure for about a week before placing the pier on it. Whilst the top concrete may appear solid it will probably still be a bit sloppy further down

Archived