SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M13

Telrad

The Hercules Globular Cluster - M13 always never ceases to interest me especially when I consider the Arecibo message.

I revisited it last night/this morning at the end of my obs sesh after Saturn and M92, and had wonderful clear skies all night.

Looks like the weekend will be good too :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It takes your breath away on a good seeing night. I also had a go at M92 a couple of nights ago and that too was looking very nice...unfortunatley it looks like cloudy sky's up hear for the next few days due to the North East wind blowing in the cloud.

I've just seen M13 for the first time, all I can say is Wow! I just wish I had a bigger scope to see it in all it's glory, I could only really see the outer stars, the centre was just a blur. Best DSO I've seen so far.

I found M13 about two months ago and it was a awesome sight. We had some nasty storms and tornadoes roll through and knocked the power out for five days or so. As bad as that was it made for nice viewing with the street lights off. I found M13 and was mesmerized by it. To think of how many stars are in that one spot in the sky is amazing.

A saw this target at the Cumbria star party through DemonBarbers 15" obsession and Ethos 13 .... My goodness I was flawed for words.. :)

There was thousands of individual stars ... not a fuzzy blob in the core... we are talking clear sharp defined cluster like some of the best images on it posted here, although without the star colour to be fair. :(

I'm still waiting for a goos seeing night in this region. Collimation is done and I have a new Barlow so I'm itching to be out there!

Sounds like you had a marvelous night. Congrats!

Isabelle

Isabelle,

Let us know how the viewing goes - post collimation.

Cheers

The Hercules Globular Cluster - M13 always never ceases to interest me especially when I consider the Arecibo message.

I revisited it last night/this morning at the end of my obs sesh after Saturn and M92, and had wonderful clear skies all night.

Looks like the weekend will be good too :)

I just read up about the Arecibo message on wiki and got shivers down my spine while listening to Apollo 13 music thinking about aliens picking up our message.

Then I got to the bottom and found that the message will actually miss M13. :icon_eek:

• 2 weeks later...

M13 is definitely one of my favourites so far and with my local light polution seems to benefit from the extra darkness of staying out later. In my 5"mak early on in the night it's just a smudge, but later on I can start to make out some of the little points of light.

It's nice to be able to find it with the binoculars too, even if it's just a small smudge I'd pass by if I didn't know what it is.

Tyr

• 2 weeks later...

M13 is actually my target for tonight. I've never seen it, so if it stays clear I'm gonna hunt it out. That followed by the ET cluster.

Will probably just end up looking at Albireo as usual though. :-)

Paul

Another vote for the superb M13! I too had one of those moments when seeing it and when the power was increased I was gob smacked! :D

I hope I may have a look at it with a large aperture instrument one day to see even more of those million or so stars :p

My first 'M' too, and my fave- still only seen a couple but I come back to M13 over and over- it appears to shimmer like diamonds on a good night with averted vision. I hope we get a clear one tonight- its been a while!

I saw this for the first time the other night. One of the few DSO's that I have observed and recognized, unlike many of the other ones that are ruined by the light pollution around my garden. Although it wasn't the greatest view I still got that initial reaction of success, and I can add it to my list of things to show off to people because I can easily navigate back to it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived