Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

thinest moon i have ever seen!

Jack123456

I just went out to see what the conditions were like and i saw the moon on the horizon.

it is the newest moon i have ever seen, so thin, more like a curved line than a creasent.

when i first saw it, i thought it was a contrail in the distance.

has anyone else seen the moon this thin before?

Someone pointed it out to me while we were setting up. Don't think I've ever seen it that thin. I got the dob on it just as it went between two tree branches. That's the first time I've seen the moon in a scope. Amazing - I'll be back for another look I think! (Btw - does anyone know of a downloadable resource for moon rise and set times and phases?)

(Btw - does anyone know of a downloadable resource for moon rise and set times and phases?)

Have you tried Stellarium

It's free planetarium software so should include Moon data for your own location once you've set your coordinates. Another very good Moon resource which will give you phases and much, much more is the Virtual Moon Atlas - also a free download.

en:start [Virtual Moon Atlas]

If you have an iPhone/iPod touch then there are some good moonrise apps available, either free or very cheap.

Hope this helps :)

It's free planetarium software so should include Moon data for your own location once you've set your coordinates. Another very good Moon resource which will give you phases and much, much more is the Virtual Moon Atlas - also a free download.

If you have an iPhone/iPod touch then there are some good moonrise apps available, either free or very cheap.

thanks. i've been using stellarium for a while. for some reason i'd convinced myself it doesn't show phases. i downloaded virtual moon atlas too. that's a good program. i also found lunafaqt (odd name) for android. that's good for showing basic phase/rise/set/transit info.

Yes Jack, I also saw the thin cresent moon on the same evening from Wiltshire. I think it was the thinness moon I have ever seen just about the horizon. A few of us were out viewing that night, it would have been a great night to view apart the very strong wind we had. Some of the scopes were being moved around while trying to observe objects. We gave up around 1:30 in the morning due to the conditions got getting any better. Hopefully everything will be okay for Wednesday's lunar eclipse?

Peter

You can now get Stellarium on the iPhone/iPod as well as PC.

That sounds thinner than the thinnest I've seen.

This is an image of a thin moon - I think from memory that I've seen one a few hours earlier, but honestly cannot remember!

32hrs%20old.jpeg

Cheers

Ant

The thinnest Moon I've seen was 22h 04m

This was back on 16 May 1988, and was dutifully recorded in my observing logbook of the time.

I was with the Bedford AS round at a members house in Riseley, Bedfordshire and we were trying to find Mercury with binoculars in the twilight at 9.15 BST. We stumbled across the moon by accident, as it wasn't visible to the naked eye.

This was the youngest moon any of us had ever seen and was an incredibly thin line as I remember. The age was calculated with the aid of the BAA handbook timings of the new moon (no internet back in them days!).

Oh - and we eventually found Mercury, the first time I'd seen this planet.

Archived