SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Evostar 6" F8...Upgrade begins

Have you seen this little lot?LXD75 6 inch Refractor Telescope Bundle

Not a bad setup brand new for the price...I bet the guy who paid the same for a used Celestron CR6RGT last week on the bay would be feeling a bit sick...plus this one's the "proper white" colour!:(

Seriously, these Meade/Bressers are really good scopes for the money, and with goto included....a no brainer really - if you have the cash!:)

Dave

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Meade / Bresser refractors are good scopes alright but be aware that they depreciate real fast too. The Meade AR6 OTA that I recently owned for a while was bought and sold by me for around £150.

The LXD75 mount is worth more of course.

I'm not wanting to pour cold water on the setup Dave links to but just trying to keep feet on the ground :)

Plus it's just my opinion of course ....

John makes a valid point and of course used equipment will always be much cheaper than bought new..John, I'm genuinely surprised that you couldn't get more than £150 for a Meade 6" OTA:eek:...

I wonder if the time of year you sold it had a bearing...a lot of astro fans seem to drop the hobby from about April til September due to the light nights..it's the same with fishing, where a lot of anglers fish from June to October then put all their gear away for the winter months..

I've certainly noticed recently some lovely scopes which seemed a very good price but have hung around in a way that I don't think they would if they came up for sale say in November...and of course the recession doesn't help.

If I saw a 6" ota like yours for sale at £150 in good order I'd be very tempted to buy it and resell it in the winter for £250 or more:p

Dave

I guess I could have got more for it Dave but I got it at a bargain price from a fellow SGL member and my policy is not to profit when I sell on (I'm sure I'm not alone in that though). When I put the advert up I had quite a few enquiries pretty quickly of course.

I don't think I'd last long as a dealer / trader though :)

Hi All,

Snip........

The other plan is to buy an ADM saddle and dovetail to beef up the fixing of the OTA to the mount. I think the CG-5 can handle the weight no problem, it's the "flex" at the point of the dovetail holding onto the saddle with just one main screw..the ADM version will be much firmer and safer, but ain't cheap at around £130 for the pair.

So far, so good..hope you like:)

Dave

Looking good so far.

I had a bit of flex on my old F8/CG5 combo.

The ADM sounds rock solid.

I'm not too sure if the CG5 worm wheel synchronisation will be as solid or should i say movement free ?.

Paul

Here's what I'll be using with my Vixen GP. When I first tried it I used a long Skywatcher dovetail bar with the rings and even then the only jiggle was when focusing, with settle-down taking a few seconds. With this and the new Crayford I'm sure the GP will carry it admirably. Fingers crossed, anyway... :)

post-14001-133877628166_thumb.jpg

The last couple of posts regarding large fracs have caught my attention and as I am (still ) considering ending up with just one easy to use scope I was wondering if the views through 6" achro would be comparable or better than a 120mm apo and if so would my Pentax XW,s still be suitable for a 6" f8 achro ?

Vlebo, I'll let you know in a few months! Although... I think that the two will have their own niches rather than one superceding the other. The XWs will be nice in whatever scope you stick them in though.

Ant :)

John,

That's very much to your credit and I'm sure many if not most of the sales that take place are done on that basis:)..

having said that, I'm sure many of us (and me included:D) have found items at a very good price for whatever reason, and then moved them on later at a modest profit, and this has enabled us to slowly buy more or better quality equipment..

It used to be the case that odd real bargains could be found on fleabay (though sadly much less so nowadays)..I remember once some years ago buying a Meade EXT70mm outfit with goto mount etc..I bought it for myself as a grab and go and before I bid I checked out others for sale to get a feel for what would be a fair price in good used condition...I concluded that around £125 would be a fair price all in and found one to bid on shortly afterwards....right at the bottom of the advert in small print the seller said that the item was hardly used and also he would include an additional zoom eyepiece for the buyer..

I managed to get it for £127, so right on my budget. When I collected it, it was as described, almost as new, and I was quite happy with what I paid...when unpacking it at home, tucked in the bottom of the box was a Tele Vue Zoom 8-24mm eyepiece in as new condition!:(..

In the event, I didn't take to the Meade, and resold it a few weeks later on ebay...it went for £150 (who can understand the workings of ebay and auctions???)...I kept the TV zoom for a while, and about 9 months later I sold it on UK Abs for £55 posted, which I think was a very fair price - and it sold very quickly, I could have sold it 10 times over. So a good instance I think of everyone being happy, no one being ripped off, and the "used" market working well.

Interestingly the Meade was bought and resold via fleabay about 8 weeks before Christmas, and the buyer of the ETX told me he had bought it as a first scope for his son for Christmas...and sent a mail after Christmas saying how pleased they were with it...so that was nice:).

Isn't it incredible that you can actually buy a big frac ota so cheaply, whether £150 or £250?...amazing value by any standards!:)

cheers

Dave

Archived