SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just a quickie.

I am always thinking about what scope to get later in the year and if it will be a dob 250/300p or something like the 200p EQ5, but i was also wondering if its possible to mount the dob ota on a EQ mount because this could mean I may look at getting a dob and also the EQ mount and have the best of both worlds.

Is it just a case of getting tube rings and dovetail for the ota or are they two totaly different scopes? Also with something like the 300p if it can be mounted does it have to be with at least a EQ5/HEQ5 etc?

Thanks

Marc.

Can be mounted on an EQ.

Think you will have to have a dob that has a tube not a truss.

For 250-300 you will need at least an HEQ5, possibly bigger - EQ6.

The "Dob" bit is the mount not the scope. The scope bit is a newtonian reflector.

What you are therefore looking at is a newtonian scope on a dobsonian mount or the same newtonian on an EQ mount.

Same scope different mount, that's all, interchangeable as you say with the bits you say.

Eyepiece could be a bit high when on the EQ mount when in use.

Yep AFAIK it can be done, however for a 250-300 I would definitely consider an EQ6. I think a 300 will be far to heavy for even a HEQ5 as you will definitely need three counterweights to achieve balance.

Hi Marc

IMO the novelty of heaving a 12" Newt on and off a GEM will soon wear off.

You'll end up using it either as a Dob or permanently set up on the GEM.

The 10" would be a more realistic dual purpose scope.

Regards Steve

Archived