Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Butterfly Nebula Ic1318

peter shah

Ive not done any narrow band stuff for ages thought it was about time.....Ic1318 The butterfly Nebula, I managed to get some S2 and O3, the signal was pretty weak really so its a litle noisy. Exposure times were 10x 600s in H-alpha, 6x900s in S2 and 6x900s in O3.

These narrow band filters give some ugly halos, the one around Sadr is a peach

cheers peter

full res pic http://bit.ly/jtePuD

post-17181-133877612351_thumb.jpg

I think that came out pretty well Peter - nice contrast in the dimmer regions which shows you've got good deep data. Not quite sure about the colours - some areas a bit purple, but it seems to work really well as a whole.

What narrowband filters are you using?

I think that came out pretty well Peter - nice contrast in the dimmer regions which shows you've got good deep data. Not quite sure about the colours - some areas a bit purple, but it seems to work really well as a whole.

What narrowband filters are you using?

Cheers guys....I really battled with the colour ive been staring at the monitor all day, i will probably tweak the colour when i have some fresh eyes

Im using Orange Bright filters, Im waiting for someone to bring out a range aimed for the fast astrograph before i replace them, i believe Baader is working on this problem.

This is a fabulous image Peter, although I have to say that I don't really like those purple stars - I have just run Filter - Noise - Reduce Noise - Reduce Colour Noise (100%) twice and to my eye it transforms the image BUT and it's a BIG but, that's to my eye :)

In all other respects, I love this image and your treatment of it.

This is a fabulous image Peter, although I have to say that I don't really like those purple stars - I have just run Filter - Noise - Reduce Noise - Reduce Colour Noise (100%) twice and to my eye it transforms the image BUT and it's a BIG but, that's to my eye :)

In all other respects, I love this image and your treatment of it.

thanks everyone

steve ive taken your advice and used the noise reduction and added a little spin of my own :)

its taken the overall magenta cast away

an improvement?

full res http://bit.ly/mFHRAZ

post-17181-133877612412_thumb.jpg

Definitely an improvement. Great image, btw! I would have to do quite a mosaic to get all the butterfly in one image!!!

Have you tried removing the stars before processing the narrowband channels and then adding them back in as a layer once everything is combined? That is how I avoid the magenta halos on narrowband work

The second one gets my vote...the purple rings are far less distracting, the third is very nice indeed but the blazing white star distracts my attention..

All the images have a wonderful 3D look about them.. the full res are simply stunning :)

Over all Mr Shah... fabulous :)

Archived