SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL sponsorship and discount

I joined SGL (it's fiftieth member) back when it was a much smaller forum. I had bought my first telescope and was looking for advice, needless to say SGL's membership were fantastic! They took me under their wing, I learned a great deal from them. Later I became a mod, then a GM so worked together with the ADMIN/mod team to establish and grow the forum.

When SGL's running costs became significant ADMIN approached the retailers who were promoting their companies free of charge and asked them for sponsorship. They weren't interested. They either considered SGL too small or they didn't want to offend a larger (at the time) forum. After SGL had grown some dealers did express an interest but they were demanding and generally hard work. It was around then that I handed in my mod badge and setup First Light Optics.

For a while FLO rubbed shoulders with one or two other dealers here on SGL but they either stopped contributing or were considered demanding so ADMIN made FLO sole sponsor. They created a sponsor section for FLO and another for dealer reviews so good service is recognised, wherever it comes from. Needless to say the arrangement has worked because here we all are enjoying what has become the largest, most active and fastest growing UK astronomy forum (the third largest in the World!). Recently I was invited to become one of the ADMIN team. I gladly accepted.

The SGL Discount scheme was launched nearly five years ago around the time the recession started and the forum had only a few hundred members. It was arranged with SGL's ADMIN as a means of increasing SGL membership and FLO's customer base.

At first we offered 10% off everything. As the recession took hold suppliers and dealers reduced prices until the point where, after SGL discount, we actually lost money on some of the more popular items (many entry-level telescopes are sold at near cost price). So rather than end the scheme we reduced it to 5-10% off 'most' items. Recently it has become 5% off most accessories.

Today we have decided to end the scheme but concentrate instead on putting together more exclusive deals for SGL members. There will be a mix of stock clearance items, special bulk purchases and reduced price offers.

What regular dealers spend on magazine advertising, FLO spends on SGL sponsorship. No other astronomy retailer operates this way.

Thank-you for your continued support :icon_salut::smiley:

Steve

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve I have always found FLO to be a very approachable company. In recent years I have had the pleasure of personally meeting you, James and Martin many times and have always enjoyed our chats.

In my view SGL has helped the development of astronomy both visual and imaging to so many people and your sponsorship has supported this development.

I wish you continued good fortune with FLO.

Hope to see you all again soon.

best regards

Mark

Having literally caught the very end of the members discount scheme I am very grateful to all at FLO :). Great forum, great site, great support. As Tony says, looking forward to the "specials"...:)

In the current economic climate, this really does make sense and your company's contribution to the well-being of SGL has always been through its sponsorship which happily continues.

I too look forward to the 'specials' and to your continued involvement in this great forum.

I have found that FLO have been approachable and easy to deal with.

The SGL discount was just a bit of icing on the cake that I can manage without.

I realise that retailer margins are tight and understand the decision.

SGL is definitley one of the better run forums (fora?) that I have subscribed to.

No forget that. It is actually the BEST run. I look forward to this continuing.

David.

You can't put a price on good help and advice which in many cases can itself save money. The gang at FLO are very generous in this regard and I think it is reasonable that the needs of their business must take priority during this economic downturn. Supporting this forum as they have done and continue to do, makes such a difference to us all whether we are new or more experienced astronomers. Offering 'specials' is a really good idea and I'm sure there will be some bargains for us to look out for or dribble over.

Keep up the good work!

James

When I joined SGL, I went straight to FLO and between my father and I, bought several telescopes. This is the first time I have heard that there was a 10% discount!

No regrets though - just hope the business continues to be a success. :)

Thank-you chaps :)

Having been a Mod and GM myself I am acutely aware that as sponsor, FLO's contribution towards SGL's success is second to the ADMIN and Mod team's. They have a genuine passion for SGL and it's community of members, enough to give up their spare time to ensure it's success. In many ways being an ADMIN or Mod is a thankless task as it is usually only when one of them puts a foot wrong or is having an off day that anyone notices them. And of course the community, without which there would not be a forum. Many of SGL's members are in effect moderators themselves - they welcome members, report dodgy posts and generally create and promote the atmosphere we all enjoy.

Long may it continue :)

Thanks Steve.

It was a great discount scheme while it lasted and I'm really looking forward to the SGL specials. I wonder what they could be; maybe an 8" f/4 imaging newtonian, a 2" SII narrowband filter and a packet of Jaffa cakes.

Just sayin' :)

All the best,

Mike

My best to you Steve.. I look forward to the special section. Seems like long ago the originals were just there in the board. I certainly remember my days as an Admin with great fondness. Also recall the birth of FLO and venture into the business world.

My regards to you and the team there.

Rob

Sounds like a great idea Steve. FLO's sole sponsorship of the forum has been mutually beneficial I am sure, I for one have enjoyed some FLO 'specials' as you know.

With container prices rocketing once again, I am not surprised by this announcement, we have lowered or removed customer discounts at work too, due to ever tighter and tighter margins.

Thanks for 3.5 years of great service, looking forward to many more :)

Hi Steve

I've only been a member since February and bought my scope from you based on recommendations on this forum and on price. I did not know about the members discount and to be honest it would not have made any difference.

Quality of service is very important, especially with a technical hobby like ours.

Keep up the good work and I hope FLO grows from strength to strength.

Clear skies

Paul

I recently bought my scope from FLO off the back of the recommendations on this forum and did not need the inducement of a discount to help me make my decision. I believe that whilst you continue to offer the quality of service that you appear to be renowned for any discount is unnecessary.

Keep up the good work :)

Archived