Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best portable scope for travelling

Hi all,

I am thinking about buying a cheap (ish) tele/spotting scope to take with me on holiday this year, but I thought I would first try and get some advice before I make a purchase and regret it! :)

What do people recommend, obviously I don't want anything to cumbersome!? :)

Thanks.

Rick.

You can pick up something like a TeleVue Pronto second hand for around 200 pounds. These are truly excellent and very robust. I have an old one, plus a WO ZS66 that I bought new. The Pronto is in a different league optically and mechanically.

Olly

I don't want to spend a fortune, I was thinking more along the lines of sub £100, perhaps a celestron c65 mak or something similar; are these any good or just a load of rubbish? lol

Nothing like in the same league as Olly's kit, but I have an ST80. I use it as my guidescope at home, but it fits perfectly in my Maplins ally flight bag, with my ep's, diagonal etc. I mount it on a camera tripod for lovely widefield views. The CA for that, I don't find as an issue.

Just saw your post, the ST80 new is £95 from FLO. I have the Konus version

Hi Rick,

I realise that your thread states "scope" but have you considered some bins. You should be able to get a reasonable 10x50 or even 15x70 for your budget.

Cheers

Neil

Archived