Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best budget Canon DSLR

The problem is not just the memory card, also the camera memory bus.

On the 1100D you will get 3 continuous high quality raw shots off before its "buffering" even on a high speed card.

You will hit this is you are doing 3 continuous shooting for HDR shots (+/- 1 EV or other spreads).

For video, you're better using a proper video camera :rolleyes:

Pretty irrelevant if your shooting long exposures for astrophotography ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess that's a personal choice. I had a Sony HD handycam (cost me 1050€ 18 months ago) and sold it after getting the 60D. The diference to me was just staggering, specially when using some prime lenses or the 24-70 f/2.8 L.

The way I see it, if it's good enough for entire movies with budgets around 2 or 3 million I guess I can made do with it for some travelling videos or shooting the soon to be born baby. ;)

Sounds like the issue you had was the optics, the lenses.

Ahh yes you hit the nail on the head, "travelling videos" or "baby shots", yes that "convenience" angle again.

Why carry 2 items when you can carry one. Again, same argument for camera phones, have you ever used a camera phone in a hurry? lol, gimme a pocket compact any day.

You should call http://www.red.com/ and tell them they should close up shop, Canon is all anybody needs.

Yuu will also find that Canon would have probably been on a 50,000 GBP rig lol, and it wouldn't have been the entire movie, why was that? Yeah, because it was PR, nothing more nothing less, headline grabbing only. Then the next movie they go back to their big RED optics :rolleyes:

Don't jump to conclusions. I can asure you my travel videos put House MD, Iron Man 2 and Captain America to shame! :rolleyes:

And I'm off this thread, we're getting too close to flaming and I'm not looking to give extra trouble to mods. The good thing to take out of it is that there are all kinds of cameras around and you can shoot with whatever you like.

Thanks for all the help. So could someone recommend a card for the 1100D?

I understand I should get about 16GB and I would like to record video smoothly.

I don't really do that much prime focus astrophotography, but I love wide field on a tripod.

Does anyone have a good lens they can recommend for that?

I normally use the guides by Gary Honis...

Canon Digital Rebel XSi (450D), XS (1000D), T1i (500D) , T2i (550D), T3 (1100D) Modification Instructions - Removal of IR Cut Filter for Astrophotography & Infrared Imaging - by Gary Honis

a modded 1000D would be a very good intro into DLSR astrophotography. Depending on the scope you are using you might need to take care of UV/IR filtering if you go for the filter removal option and you might have some issues with getting camera lenses to focus at infinity, both of which can be resolved

Peter...

• 2 months later...

Hi,

im looking for some help,i have an eos 1100d which i am going to modify,i will be using it for nothing else but deep sky imaging and it will be used on an orion ed80t refractor.Would i get away with just removing the rear ir cut filter or would i have to do a replacement,i get conflicting reports about it,some saying you dont have to replace the filter others saying you need to replace filter to stop star bloating,the camera will only be used for astrophotography so i wont need auto focus or any daytime features,can anyone help.

sean.

Just a thought but if you intend to go for the crop sensor and intend to use it solely for astrophotography then finding an older 450d or 500d might be worth the trick. Both have live view and the 500d has HD video. Thats based on the guess that if used only for astro you will prob want to mod it at some point. Especially worth it if you can find a faulty one where maybe the autofocus or light meter doesnt work. But if anyone knows of one for sale with either of the above faults let me know first :)

hi guys,what do you think of 550d for astro and alround cam.could i use it for astro with a cls filter,or would it be worth modding,for daytime usage also,with a partial filter.as you say,im also considering older eos just for astro.does anyone use 550d for both,any advise?cheers

Archived