Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best budget Canon DSLR

Full frame sensors are only available on the 5D and 1D. Besides, all lenses you may have from the EF range will only work properly on a crop sensor.

So:

- Cheapest full frame is the 5D

- Cheapest for stills is the 1100D

- For stills and full HD video the cheapest is the 500D. The swivel screen on the 600D and 60D is very nice and worth the money if you plan to film frequently.

I find all canon cameras have great quality. You should make your choice by checking your personal requirements against the camera specifications.

Currently I'm using a 60D. It's a great camera, video quality is light years ahead of my 2 yo HD sony handycam. Photos are as good as any of the latest Canon range. You'll notice a considerable improvement in ISO. I would say 3200 ISO on my 60D shows about as much noise as my old 350D at 800 ISO, maybe less. The swivel screen combined with live view is also great for shots in awkward positions.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Budget... I'd be tempted to go fro an 1100D .. Basically a 450D sensor and Digic Iv processor in a budget body... one of the big advantages is 14 bit ratehr than 12 bit raw of the 1000D...

I got my 7D last week .. not for astro though...

I have quite a few DSLR's Canon's for Astro and Nikons for Everything else (system investment) .. although with the arrival of the 7D that may change...

Peter...

I would go for a 1100D and if its purely for astro use get in modded (or consider doing it yourself) sayign that the 1100D shoudl be pretty good out of the box and the biggest benefit of modding is improved Ha Sensitivity for Emission Nebulae...

I use (in the order i bought them)

Konika Minolta 5D - Given FOC when KM pulled out of the DSLR buisness as it was faulty.. but soon fixed :)

Canon D30 - Swapped for soem RC kit - but horrendously noisy - only had it for a few days before it went back

Nikon D50 - My first DSLR - only used it for a few weeks before giving it to the OM and buying a D200 for myself

Nikon D200 - My workhorse for general and technical photogrpahy (for work at the time) - High noise and ampglow but stuck with it for a year as I had sworn never to buy a Canon ...

I eventually gave in and went for a 350D

A full spectrum modded 350D - Filters removed to allo IR pass etc - need to take care of UV/IR filterign externally depending on target and wont infinity focus with "normal" camera lenses - does with the L's or you can put a clip in filter in the body to help...

A Baader BCF Modified 1000D - This had a filter replacement as I wanted to maintain infinty focus with camera lenses

A "vanilla" 500D - Soon to be modified... probaly partial filter removal as it the no cost option for me

Unless you have a high end scope fitted with a 2.5" or 3" focusser your going to struggle to properly illuminate a full size chip...

You dont need very high MP cameras...

In general newer camerea are lower noise than their earlier counterparts..

The budget cams are much lighter than their semi-pro or pro equivalents and put much less "strain" on the focuser...

While Eos utils has everything you need to get you going software wise I would try APT and Backyard EOS and see which suits you best...

I have also used Nikon D50 and D200's , Konika Minoilta 5D and a older Canon D30 (not to be confused with the 30D) but that was horrendously noisy ...

The 7D will get pointed skywards at soemtime but not on the back of the scopes it will be used for widefield work... it's too heavy and having had the D200 fall of a focuser on the past I don't want to go there again...

Peter..

1100D (same sensor as the 450D but LOWER noise).

Read this... Canon Digital Rebel T3 (1000D) Review for Astro Imaging - by Gary Honis

Coming up to christmas they will be discounting the bodies on Amazon and Argos and other places online.

Amazon is already 330 for a new one, expect them to be lower than 300 NEW on sale, perhaps 280 or 290 ish.

Be patient and wait a month or so. If you are not modifying it, also take out the accident cover, I have read scarey expensive stories lol.

my uncle seems to have gotten obsessed with amazon and play.com for SD cards (he keeps buying 16gig ones :S only cos its cheaper than a usb stick mind (he has a usb adapter). as above im only used to compact flash but limited to 2gig in the 300d so i keep have to delete my photos :)

Which memory card type would be the best? I dont have a clue about SD, have always used compact flash.

You can't go wrong with Sandisk. Buy from a reputable seller, the market is floded with fakes.

For continuos video you need a fast one so get a class 6 or class 10. Class 6 is enough.

Got mine from Amazon.co.uk (sold by amazon) and never had a problem. On the 60D 8 min video 1080p @ 25 fps takes about 4GB. Editing/Processing this huge files used to crash my old laptop, it was one of the reasons I bought a mac recently.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Secure-Digital-Capacity-Extreme/dp/B0037FLUYU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318251013&sr=8-2

I'm very happy with my 1100D, I've managed some, in my view, very decent piccies so far. I've shot video, but my netbook isn't upto playing the files, but looking at them on the cameras display they appear to be decent enough, especially as they were shot in low light.

I bought it here in China for 317 earth quidses, they split the kit as I didn't want another 18-55 kit lens, and I was able to try it before I bought it. I had it in my hands and was shooting pics within minutes.

How do you know what class it is?

This I think is class 1 but loads of people say its great for recording video.

This alright to buy?

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC UHS-I Memory Card (8GB,45Mbps): Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

That's class 10. Class 10 is 30Mbps and above, class 6 is 20Mbps and is enough to cover 1080p recording without any hiccups.

8 GB go very fast if you plan on shooting RAW and some video clips at the same time. On the 60D with 8GB I get about 16 min video or 270 RAWs (with JPG copy off).

320 GBP for a NEW 1100D body only, you will get them cheaper in the next month or so.

Canon EOS 1100D (UK, Body only, 12MP, Full HD, ISO 100 - 3200) Deals, #1100DBODUK - Expansys.com UK

Canon EOS 1100D Digital SLR Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I would wait until November for more discounts.

The kit lenses are just plastic and **** to be honest, if it is for astrophotography, you will be wasting money on the lens, put that saved money on an accident / extended 3 year cover.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SquareTrade-Warranty-Accident-Protection-%C2%A3500-600/dp/B00448RKDE/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318256952&sr=1-8

50 GBP cover up to 600 GBP for 3 years.

Worth its weight in gold. lol

If you are doing live view remotely, you won't need a very high speed memory card.

Another useful toy is a programable cable release :rolleyes:

I use this one.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerPlanet-compatible-Canon-RS-60E3-remote/dp/B002DV757U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1318257104&sr=8-7

and this one... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timer-Remote-Control-RS-60E3-Canon/dp/B003WD0IKO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318257142&sr=8-2

Useful if you don't want to carry a laptop about for remote capture..

I wouldn't waste money on the same item with Canon stamped on it for 10x the price.

That's class 10. Class 10 is 30Mbps and above, class 6 is 20Mbps and is enough to cover 1080p recording without any hiccups.

8 GB go very fast if you plan on shooting RAW and some video clips at the same time. On the 60D with 8GB I get about 16 min video or 270 RAWs (with JPG copy off).

The problem is not just the memory card, also the camera memory bus.

On the 1100D you will get 3 continuous high quality raw shots off before its "buffering" even on a high speed card.

You will hit this is you are doing 3 continuous shooting for HDR shots (+/- 1 EV or other spreads).

For video, you're better using a proper video camera :rolleyes:

For video, you're better using a proper video camera :rolleyes:

What do you mean? HD SLRs are taking over Hollywood for a reason. The 5d, for instance, is considered on par with many professional film cameras, which cost 5 to 10 times more. The 7D and 60D have a sensor equivalent to the 5D if you can live with the crop and a little more ISO noise at ISO 3200+.

Many multi million productions use the 5D at some scenes while there are entire lower budget films completely shot on them. A few examples:

House Season Finale Filmed Entirely with Canon 5D Mark II

Canon 5D Mark II Used for Iron Man 2

Canon 5D MkII used in the filming of “Captian America: The First Avenger” - NextWaveDV

What do you mean? HD SLRs are taking over Hollywood for a reason. The 5d, for instance, is considered on par with many professional film cameras, which cost 5 to 10 times more. The 7D and 60D have a sensor equivalent to the 5D if you can live with the crop and a little more ISO noise at ISO 3200+.

Many multi million productions use the 5D at some scenes while there are entire lower budget films completely shot on them. A few examples:

House Season Finale Filmed Entirely with Canon 5D Mark II

Canon 5D Mark II Used for Iron Man 2

Canon 5D MkII used in the filming of “Captian America: The First Avenger” - NextWaveDV

Yeah that's why big movie rig/camera companies are going out of business.

Also why Red isn't being looked at seriously for very high definition recording.

I guess they should all switch to iPhones for that next blockbuster.

I have a HD camcorder, a DSLR with video, I know which I would choose for video recording.

DSLR video is just a convenience, like my phone camera.

I wouldn't use my phone camera for astrophotography and I won't use my DSLR for serious video.

They probably got paid by Canon to try to shoot scenes in a 5D or some other mundane reason. Most likely PR for Canon and to get headlines for the movie, I am pretty sure they arn't going to dump their REAL video cameras for 5D's lol

I guess that's a personal choice. I had a Sony HD handycam (cost me 1050€ 18 months ago) and sold it after getting the 60D. The diference to me was just staggering, specially when using some prime lenses or the 24-70 f/2.8 L I borrowed from a friend (now it's next on my shopping list).

The way I see it, if it's good enough for entire movies with budgets around 2 or 3 million I guess I can made do with it for some travelling videos or shooting the soon to be born baby. :rolleyes:

Archived